Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Yeah, we have the same problems at the soup kitchen where I volunteer. Luckily I don't get into the inner workings of the kitchen but it's obvious that there are so many restrictive regulations that the food banks, soup kitchens, and other charities are severely handicapped nowadays.

I have carefully selected two families that are in serious financial trouble through no fault of their own (sometimes you wonder) and really need help. One is a widowed 71 yr. old lady who is trying desperately to hold onto her 1 acre which used to be their 120 acre farm. She had to sell all but one acre and her run down home when her husband of 52 years was dying of lung cancer. She has a 41 yr. old autistic son who never gets the medical attention he needs. I take them eggs, veggies, clothing from the Goodwill store and I also try to fix things around their house once a week.

The other family is a man and wife who are both, hmmmm how do I say this tactfully, somewhat retarded or slow or something. He can never hold a job and she is not capable of working. I know this sounds terrible but they are just dumb. I bet their combined IQs don't add up to 90. They live in a home supported by charity and government assistance. I don't know how they got married but they both say that they had a church wedding. They need help in every way. I take them food, magazines, clothing, AND SOFT DRINKS! Those two are addicted to rootbeer, and lemon/lime drinks. Sheesh!

Yes I know first hand that charities that offer any kind of food or drink are under lots of regulations.
That is very kind of you, Boogity. What a softie you are! It isn't mean to call retarded people dumb. It is mean to call normal people dumb or retarded. It is nice that you help take care of all those folks.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I disagree, while Boogity's big heart is to be seen as very humane, i would say its not right to call anyone dumb, handicapped/retarted or not.One should be grateful they are not in those persons shoes/situtation..! IMO

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
I disagree, while Boogity's big heart is to be seen as very humane, i would say its not right to call anyone dumb, handicapped/retarted or not.One should be grateful they are not in those persons shoes/situtation..! IMO
So, how would you word the situation to get the idea across that he was trying to convey? I don't think he was trying to be malicious, he did say it sounded terrible to say such a thing, but the situation they were in and why it was ongoing was relevant. If there is a more appropriate way to convey the message, I could use the education. By no means did I think he was throwing stones, but it does happen that some people are a few bricks shy of a load and saying it this way does not make it any nicer. Its just a fact and a valid reason for helping out.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You know there comes a time when being "politically correct" has some serious drawbacks. The folks Boogity is talking about are seriously challenged but in some way are doing their best to get on. Where I come from it is "Better to tell folks how to get on than to tell them where to get off." :old
But if you've ever worked with folks in their predicament, you do find yourself more frustrated than usual. Hard as it is to admit, you'll find it to be true.
So, rather than pick on Boogity, why not simply keep to the spirit of the post and realize that in some cases frustration is really annoying for folks and they are best not messed with when they feel that frustrated.
We all do if from time to time. It's that HUMAN NATURE thing again.

Trim sends
//BT//

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I agree with what animalfarm and Icu4dzs are saying. I was disagreeing with the way Savingdogs put it, not Boogity...!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
R2D2 said:
I agree with what animalfarm and Icu4dzs are saying. I was disagreeing with the way Savingdogs put it, not Boogity...!
The way I put what? I did not mean to disrespect anyone, I hope it didn't get taken wrong. People use these labels wrong was my point, not that we should call anyone names.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't believe that Savingdogs meant anything other than we should attempt to be thoughtful of our descriptions, and not use those terms as a way of hurting people. Boogity wasn't being demeaning, just trying to honestly state the situation. We all know his heart is in the right place because he is going the extra mile to help these families. I wish we had more like him.

One of the problems with being Politically Correct is that terms that are acceptable now, will eventually be be considered inappropriate. Retarded originally was just a shortened version of developmentally retarded. Nowadays the accepted term seems to be developmentally challenged, with a lot of people just using the word challenged. I would bet at some point the word challenged will be looked down upon, like retarded is now. It's hard to keep up with the PC police.

There are a lot of ways of saying the same things (inflections) that can't be picked up in this media. We should all just give each other the benefit of the doubt, unless we have reason to do otherwise. :)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is inspiring.

Boogity said:
Yeah, we have the same problems at the soup kitchen where I volunteer. Luckily I don't get into the inner workings of the kitchen but it's obvious that there are so many restrictive regulations that the food banks, soup kitchens, and other charities are severely handicapped nowadays.

I have carefully selected two families that are in serious financial trouble through no fault of their own (sometimes you wonder) and really need help. One is a widowed 71 yr. old lady who is trying desperately to hold onto her 1 acre which used to be their 120 acre farm. She had to sell all but one acre and her run down home when her husband of 52 years was dying of lung cancer. She has a 41 yr. old autistic son who never gets the medical attention he needs. I take them eggs, veggies, clothing from the Goodwill store and I also try to fix things around their house once a week.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Most of the people I know with actual disabilities are just fine with the term "slow". *shrugs* It is what it is. It is only their embarrassed families who seem so big on specialty terms, best I can tell.

I'm developmentally delayed, so that is retarded. No big.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Most of the people I know with actual disabilities are just fine with the term "slow". *shrugs* It is what it is. It is only their embarrassed families who seem so big on specialty terms, best I can tell.

I'm developmentally delayed, so that is retarded. No big.
:thumbsup

I have a friend whose son is severely autistic.... heaven help anyone who describes him as anything other than developmentally delayed. It's like walking on eggshells around her.