Garden Center Trip

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
So I go to the garden center this morning, and they have this great deal on mulch...2 for 1...I can't pass it up so I buy ten bags...and twelve bags of soil...some bedding plants...
So I get to the guy who loads vehicles and he says..."Lady, you're coming back for some of this, right?"
I say "Nope, it'll all fit..."
I open my trunk...I have a shop vac in there and two folding lawn chairs..2 cans of paint and a bag of things I bought at home depot...and a couple of sprinkers....in my backseat I have the baby's carseat...and he says..."Nope, it won't all fit..."
I insure him that it will, with very careful packing....he just laughs.

So I take the shop vac and move it to the front seat...pile it high with bedding plants...add more bedding plants to the back window of the car...he starts filling the trunk. All the while saying, "Lady you will defeinitely be coming back to pick up some of this stuff.
I keep on packing it all in...and it all fits, with room to spare!
He says "I will never underestimate you again!"

Haha! I used to do it all the time to the other guy that used to do that job...he used to say the same thing! Haha Amazing what can fit in a car when you have to make it fit...
I gotta say though, that car sure did sag all the way home :gig

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I love the look on their faces! When I go to Agway in my old Volvo wagon and get two bales of straw or pine shavings, a big bag of dog food, chicken food, scratch grains and who knows what else there are still a couple of guys who insist it can't be done. Ha! is right!!!
They all also offer to help me load 50 lb bags of chicken food. Pft. Get outta my way!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I always thought that would be the greatest game show ever. Have two huge piles of stuff and see which mom can pack it in her car the most efficient and neatest.

Of course this is what runs though my head while loading my van at Cost Co. :p

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband thinks he's a better packer than I am. I let him. I figure I have better things to do. ;)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, I do the same thing too. Hubby used to think he was better at loading the dishwasher than me too. One day he loaded it and there were still a few dishes left. I looked at the dishes, opened the dishwasher, played a little dishwasher tetris and VOILA!! No more dishes on the counter. Hubby was like, "How'd you do that?" Magic. :smack

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I know my wife is the better packer. She also likes doing jigsaw puzzles and I don't.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Yeah, it's funny isn't it, for all that men are supposedly (on average) better at spatial reasoning, IME women are most often MARKEDLY better at assessing what will/won't fit and packing it in the best way.

I too have had that kind of conversation with a bunch of nursery, feedstore, lumber store, thrift store, etc employees... and I have been wrong TWICE ;)

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
We have a little Geo commuter car that we usually do most of our supply gathering with. It amazes me what you can haul around in such a tiny clown car. :lol: Every time I'm driving home I think, gee . . . I guess I don't ever need to buy an SUV! :p

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A 1996 Toyota Camry will hold 1 bale of pine shavings, 3 50lb bags of feed, a 25 lb bag of DE, 25 cinderblocks, 1 roll of poultry wire, 2' wide & 100' long & 2 60lb bags of concrete mix. Oh and a 6 year old.

Dishwasher tetris! Aidenbaby, I love it :D