Grain/Gluten, Legume and Dairy free food ideas and sharing journal

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was size 18 last year, got myself down to size 14 in November w/o trying...can barely fit into my size 16s today. Roar.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey MsPony, that is how my weight loss went when I did the NT route. I was so frustrated...I blamed it on stress, and it may have been. Lord knows I've had my share in the last year or so. It wasn't until I started this primal thing that the weight just 'fell off'. Each morning I feel thinner and thinner. Then again, the big stress load is behind me now.

My daughter is thinner now too.

Butternut Squash Brownies

from 'girlswithrecipes' blog

They are the healthiest brownies that you will ever eat. My kids love them! They sound weird but they are pretty good. I dont like them warm, they taste better cold.

1 C nut butter (peanut, almond, roasted cashews, pecan)
C honey
tsp baking soda
1 egg
3 4 T cocoa
C cooked butternut squash mashed until smooth
C chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
Mix ingredients well. Pour into greased baking pan, bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes
Breakfast:
brownies
strawberries
decaf coffee

sad morning hua? :lol:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
One more thing, I think I'm ready to reintroduce raw jersey milk. Just to see if it is a culpret.
It has been almost a month.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good luck with the milk!! Tell us (me) how it goes :)

We got new animal cages at work last week, TONS of work, then were starting remodeling Tuesday. Which means *more* work that has been going on. I'm exhausted, thank god I don't eat terrible, I don't need to be sick.

I got up at 7am yesterday for 9am shift, then at 8pm went to go relax with a few beers with my coworker. I stayed up with him mainly chatting until 12, got home at 1230...ugh!! I'm exhausted, almost feel asleep standing up w/ head on hubbys chest at lunch. I couldn't eat lunch :p I was going to experiment in the kitchen tonight, but I think when I get off @ 630 I'm just going to bed.

I haven't been eating as much lately :) But, again, I've been working hard and not stopping to think about much. You would think I could work my hiney off, lol, its still the same size.

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, also, since I'm not used to lots of yeast anymore, I was burping TONS last night! Yuck. It made my tummy kind of icky too.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Oh man!!

Feeling better than ever. My belt is on the next hole as of today. That is three holes better than I started this whole thing almost a month ago.

Sam is full of energy and plays outside every time she gets a chance. She is also not a chow hound anymore. Unfortunately we found out she still has to have the surgery to remove the growths in her throat.

Breakfast:
butternut chocolate cake (I know, probably not the wisest of choices, but hey, I didn't have to cook anything.)
water

Lunch:
biggy salad full of veggies, topped with sliced turkey breast
homemade dressing
water

Dinner plans:
homemade chicken salad (full of veggies) on top of a bunch of dark greens
homemade salad dressing
water

no snacks for anyone

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
She is also not a chow hound anymore

This is what really inspired me to try grain free. We're actually doing an atkins-type induction, then may try bringing some things back in. Or not, depending on how we're feeling. But I was so tired of fighting with my son about food! It was constantly asking for more and more food, and he's so overweight. Today was our first day and we both enjoyed the freedom! I posted a list on the fridge of "ok things to eat" and told him he could eat as much as he liked. I've never been able to tell him that before--the child would literally eat until he vomited if I didn't rein him in. I'm trusting his body will self regulate with the very limited carbs and he will eat appropriate amounts after a few days.

Breakfast
sausage and eggs, I had spinich in mine :)

Lunch
ds had tuna salad and string cheese
I had bacon and string cheese, coleslaw

snack
spinich dip

dinner
baked chix thighs
salad
I'm trying mashed cauliflower.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hi Donrae,

Good for you! I had to clean out all the bad stuff, as I said, and give it to charity. Now if Sam wants anything, she is going to have to make it or eat leftovers. I forgot to clean out my baking pantry and found her elbow deep in some chocolate chips. So I gave it all to my neighbor. (Hate to waste the stuff, even though it isn't good for you.)

With all the toxic sludge out of her body, she is finally able to absorb the nutrients, thus feeding her body what it needs. We ate pretty good most of the time, however she needed more.

Having her home from most of school lets me be in control of everything she eats, that really helped in the beginning when she wasn't sure what to eat.

(She is on two different diets, a soft mechanical-thickened liquid diet and this 'primal' diet.)

Tomorrow I'm buying my raw jersey milk and that will be the only type of dairy we are going to consume. No cheeses unless I make it from the raw milk. I think that was a downfall for us. Too much store bought non-raw cheeses.

I'm also finding out that tomatoes and/or bell peppers make me feel yucky, so I nixed them from our menu.

Abifae was totally right, once you eliminate then add back in stuff, you can totally tell when something doesn't agree with you.

And yes, I don't regulate how much she eats. She can graze on anything now w/o me worrying. She (well, we) have a diminished appetite for sure.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Dace said:
Ah ha! Nightshades!

Glad you are identifying the things that your body does not like! :thumbsup
I wouldn't have honed in on the nightshades if it weren't for you. :)

I bought some pretty eggplant to make crispy eggplant chips with. I hope they don't do the same things to me as tomatoes and bell peppers. :p

Crispy Eggplant Chips:
slice eggplant into 1/4 inch slices
season with whatever you want
broil 5 min on both sides
toss in the dehydrator and dry until crispy

Breakfast:
fresh eggs
water

Lunch:
sauted veggies (mushrooms, zucchini, onions, broccoli and garlic)
water

Dinner plans:
grilled chicken biggy salad
blueberries on the side
water

Snacks:
sliced apples with almond butter