Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey Jay, I love the style of your front door. Is that a hint of stained glass at the top? I know it was not the color you were hoping for but it really does not look too bad. It does go well with Old Man Winter. Maybe it will grow on you. The sconces look beautiful as well. Your place sure is coming together. :thumbsup

G

p.s. keep an eye on your mail box.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Just went back and looked again at the pics. I think that front door looks good. It kinda pulls some of the surrounding colors out and blends in beautifully. Doesn't look turkey poopy at all.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Remodeling sux!!! :tongue

So as I was about to start the fire place, the dry wall guy calls and says he is ready a few weeks early. That put my whole fire place into a holding pattern until he is completely done with the dry walling.

I tore out the r-3 wooly stuff, one inch thick, replaced it with r-13 and with the last batch of mud going on this week, we will be ready to start painting. I also replace some rotten wood above the fire place where there had been some leaks. I admit that the dry wall and sage green color paint to come, will look much better than the fake arts and crafts paneling installed in 1967. For some reason it even just feels like the air is not moving around as much, like it did when the old walls were up.

I put in a couple outlets for two wall sconces with a micro switch above the fire place. Danielle has a friend that works at Blenko and he is making me two custom colored/design sconces just for us. In return I am making him some copper glass shaping tools.

We have lots of stone quarries around these parts, so stone is cheap and in good supply. Early this morning we headed down to my favorite stone supplier, about 15 miles out of my way from my nearest one. However the quality is something to be desired at the one locally.

After looking 20 or so different color make ups, and different types of stone. I found one piece that has fossilized plants in it and decided this would be an awesome center piece to have. There are two different types of plants, a fern and one that looks like sage. Pretty neat if you ask me...

IMG_1798.jpg
IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1801.jpg
IMG_1803.jpg

I also had the driveway asphalted last week, no more replacing gravel every spring or heavy wash out!!! :weee My new truck... and the girls fleeing from me as if they were on the menu tonight.... I know you all love seeing pictures of farm animals.

IMG_1806.jpg
IMG_1810.jpg

As soon as the dry wall is done, I am getting back on the fire place. I also am adding a copper hood to my fire place, the mantel is going to look great as well!!! I will add my own copper switch plate covers that I make here in the shop, and there FREE!!

So as you can see I have been busy getting the place done before old man winter arrives.

I am pleased with the desired Arts and Crafts color and look the house is moving into. I enjoy having things I made myself around me and the warm glow over the quality of the stuff I make myself. It give me pleasure and a sense of being who I am in my own house. Many of you share the same feelings on this as I do.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That stone with the fossils look sooo cool. I love the bit of nature it brings into the room. What type of stone is it?? Great job on the insulation. I am sure with your new windows your going to be snug as a bug this winter.

The pics of your yard are so nice. We hardly see a change of seasons here. My fruit trees really don't even drop their leaves until Jan/ Feb. The fall colors are very soothing.

Thanks for sharing!!

g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Gorgeous! I have some fossils that I got to put in the tiled backsplash I want to make with my dad, if we ever get to that project!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Very cool! I used to have a bunch of stones with fossils that I found at my uncle's place in Corning NY. My mom threw them away when I was in college. Grrrrrr. What I could do with them now!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
That is really cool Jay, I can't believe you found the pieces with the fossils in them. I could have never dreamed of finding anything like that around here....I just got the bathrooms here painted (finally)...isn't it great when projects get done!

Looking good honey!