Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Yes, it is a BX2350 series 2006 with about 121 hours now. It belong to my dad and was really the only thing I wanted that belong to him. Its a personal thing.

Often, in the late season, I would get a letter from Dad. Inside would be just a picture of a veggie he had grown, often either weird looking, something new, or one that was big. Nothing else would be in the letter. Than a week or so he would call to confirm I had gotten his letter and start bragging his farmer john skills up. I would never call him back because he was just bragging up.

I really like it, and like you said it sips fuel, though I have learned the center of gravity as not to roll the thing over when having the front loader on.

Gina its really a nice compact tractor, you would love it!!! I had a pulley spin loose on the mow deck, I suspect it was already going bad when I got it. So I am waiting for the part to come in to fix it.

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You seem much more at peace now, MP. Me thinks it has something to do with working in dirt, playing on big machines. UUUG!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
kc.... Perhaps getting back to what warms my soul is good for me. I didn't have the time or energy to put in my garden and will have to get stuff from the farmers market. I miss working around the property and am trying to get into the groove now. Things are as sad as they can be, like Debbie, I have to get on with my own life for the sake of my family.

I would not advise anyone to be an Administrator of any ones estate, as it just wears ones soul and heart down. However, I see that this has gone well as we only wanted a few things and those were not anything over the top.

I also have been working through my feelings in grief counseling in order not to have unsettled feelings later down the road. I didn't do it after combat and leaned the hard way about my feelings and dealing with isses.

I am also very happy to have a few minutes to come and post with you folks here, and working on new projects on my blog as well in the evenings.

More folks are going SS but I don't know many here, but I learn and come here with people who have a like interest and know much more than I do.

There is a sense of pride that goes along with what we do or try to do here. Last winter when I opened my freezer and everything in there I gathered, hunted or grew, I was very proud of myself. Words can't describe how I felt that afternoon.

I also share with you folks the same feeligs of making any milestone, as sometimes I have been there or would like to get there myself.

So at the end of the day, you are right, and I always take time to enjoy what our great God has given us to enjoy and love.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Sounds like your still on the learning curve.
Whenever you have the loader on and it is full, keep it as close to the ground as possible. Also, ALWAYS put something on the back as a counter balance to the loader. I have a weight box, the tiller, the chipper/shredder and a 6ft scraper blade as my options. :gig

Oh ya.......one more tip: If you have a loader bucket full of firewood, do NOT attempt to raise it to full height, unless you roll the bucket FORWARD a little bit as your lifting it. My hood acquired a nice little dent when my buddy was loading up some firewood out of my backyard. :he
He's lucky it didn't dent his HEAD! :gig

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I suspect that the farmers that built this house were also SS in building materials as well as everything else that was done less than professional around here. I am not going to say much more than that because I am a Coppersmith not a brick/stone layer.

The demo was started today as the materials from the project are needed as base fill for another project that needs getting done. I have some stone already to rebuild a new fire place including a seasoned hickory tree that I will have the Amish saw for me from Marks house for a mantle. He gave me the tree last year for free or smoking rights when he wants to smoke something. I still have to plan the completion of this project, and will begin that later this week.

fireplace-demolition1.jpg
fireplace-demolition5.jpg

fireplace-demolition8.jpg
fireplace-demolition11.jpg

fireplace-demolition14.jpg
fireplace-demolition15.jpg

I have to do some repairs as you can see the black soot on the right where a fire brick has been missing. I am waiting for more rock to come in and expect this project to finish in the next month before it gets too cold... I am excited to follow through with this project as the out come will be rewarding. I will add two wall sconces to left and right of the fire place.

I removed 800 pounds or so of rock and will be replacing it with 600 pounds.

ETA Please laugh at my 1970s light moss green carpet, it will be gone soon!!!!

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There's great satisfaction from swinging a sledge hammer isn't there? You can get rid of a lot of frustration that way. Sore muscles tomorrow, but I bet you sleep well tonight.

Keep on keepin' on MP.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey MP,

I can't wait to see how your FP turns out!!!! Very exciting.

Unfortunately I did not know any better so when we built our home we used a metal fire box type fire place. It lacks in every way. I would love to replace it.

Love the carpet!!! What are you going to replace it with?

g

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Working on the fire place, and everything else around the homestead when a packaged arrived for me..... :clap

So there it was, a pint of homemade salsa for the taking. I have never seen such tops of my own, but I remember another SS member bragging up his salsa and he had those fancy lids.

You know what was nice, the thought.... It was like a care package with just some thought and care behind it. It felt kind and I felt as part of. I look forward to dipping into it and having food for my soul as we would have it.

I was gonna send some canned deer meat back, but I only have a few quarts. So instead, I am thinking a trivet, a copper trivet to place hot pans/pots on for the dinner table....

Its great to know people are just willing to offer up and give, I look forward to the good eats.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think we all have you on our minds this year. Crafting season has begun. ;) Speaking of, does your wife wear beanies? :D

How is your fire place remodel going? Any updated pics??

g