Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There is no reason why you could not just take you time on this one. Stay where you are for a while and build at your convenience. I am not sure where your Mom's place is but the planning and permitting for our home took almost 2 years. It is wonderful that you can save the grainery. The description you gave makes it sound very interesting. What is that thing on the roof? A vent? It sure would look nice done in copper. ;)

Yes I know I am an instigator. :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The old farm looks like it needs a loving touch. It looks like a place that has a load of potential. I'm not sure where that home is located, but have you thought about relocating the family and how it would affect the wife and kids? Is this something you have discussed with them in depth? What about your work, your shop, and the people you have working for you?

I'm not trying to sway you, just offering an honest assessment. I can't imagine starting over or uprooting my family/business or making such a huge committment of myself to a piece of land, and a load of cost up front, just for the emotional attachment. You have had a lot going on emotionally it seems, and I think judging from this long thread everyone here would support any decision you made on the matter, myself included, but it is a rather GINORMOUS leap!

I do kind of hope you get it though, and it all works out. It sounds like something that would be beneficial to you...and I already envy anyone who would get the current home! :drool

Opportunity seems to be knocking, but there sure is a lot of folks between you and that door ;)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
The old farm looks like it needs a loving touch. It looks like a place that has a load of potential. I'm not sure where that home is located, but have you thought about relocating the family and how it would affect the wife and kids? Is this something you have discussed with them in depth? What about your work, your shop, and the people you have working for you?

I'm not trying to sway you, just offering an honest assessment. I can't imagine starting over or uprooting my family/business or making such a huge committment of myself to a piece of land, and a load of cost up front, just for the emotional attachment. You have had a lot going on emotionally it seems, and I think judging from this long thread everyone here would support any decision you made on the matter, myself included, but it is a rather GINORMOUS leap!

I do kind of hope you get it though, and it all works out. It sounds like something that would be beneficial to you...and I already envy anyone who would get the current home! :drool

Opportunity seems to be knocking, but there sure is a lot of folks between you and that door ;)
Well said. Think with your head Jay, not with your heart. (But it would be a lovely place with your talents.)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow, you sure do have a lot on your plate right now. Your copper work is beautiful, Jay, but then again....you know that ;)

How far away is the family property again? What does your wife/kids think about moving there?

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Yes, pretty dramatic title isn't it? Being shot at.......

This time of year I can be found collecting paper bags full of leaves to compost from curb side. I take those up on the hill to a place I have set aside to compost soil to add to my garden or tater baskets.

So there I was, dumping and folding over the pile, and in the distance, half mile out I could hear some one dialing their scope in and shooting their rifle. I also started to hear a muffled swoosh pop noise out to the left or behind me. I had about 11 big bags of leaves, and then I heard something puncture one of the bags. Sounded like some one flicked the bag. Then, right out in front of me, in the pile, the leaves came busting up. I just happen to look around, and across the hill was a person standing, aiming a rifle in my direction. I thought for sure, right away, it was Beau and his airsoft gun. He saw me looking at him and took off.

I was HOT!! so, I jumped on the tractor and headed over to his place, Dale, his Dad, was in the back blowing leaves. He wasn't aware his son had taken the BB gun out, but I made it clear that he was shooting at me. The kid came out and admitted he was doing it, and Dale kindda blew it off. I confront him, Dale, about how his child had access to any weapon at all? This is the second time he has had children and gun issues. I left, angry, but I am happy I handled it in a mature way. The kid is only 9 y/o and I told him next time I was going to have him put in jail, for a scared factor. Although next time I will call the state troopers.

This happened on the day I tilled a big peace sign in my yard and planted early snow crocuses so they will appear in the spring in a shape of a peace sign!!! :D Yeah, I know, you might think I am nuts or a hippy... I always push the idea of fellowship and peace when around people. Though, at times, I do get caught up in a little bit of mud slinging from time to time. So, I never stand on a soap box and demand others to listen to John Lennon, Ghandi's or my idea of world peace. I am thankful to all service members and their families and my vision is only of that big white house and its policies with respect to other nations. That is that....

IMG_1976.jpg

This is nice!!
455345653_1c5c0cb715.jpg

cassieb_12.jpg

G, you did such a good job on our beanies, how about making some whirled peas!!!! :lol:
2420711101_ccf461f2ba.jpg

If we purchased the property, it would be a retirement home for us. Its some what south of here and we would be out of the lake effects snow belt, the wife would be pleased. Its still very rural and shopping still 15 miles away for food. Clothes and other stuff another 10 miles added to that. Its true it could be emotionally driven idea to own the property, but if it is the right price, I would like to own it.

A modern version of my Arts and Crafts design range hood, though I like the old world patina much better, this one turned out pretty nice too.
IMG_1891.jpg

The color contrast indoor lighting
IMG_1937.jpg

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Whirled peas sounds yummy :p

I'd be livid if a kid shot at me and then did not even get a talking to from his dad. :somad My kid got grounded from her BB gun for just pointing it at the dog! That child is going to be trouble in the near future. No consequences is just really asking for trouble. Yeesh!

Nice hood!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Whirled peas!!!! :gig Those are kinda cute. What the heck would you use them for? hacky sac???

Awww, I knew you had a soft side. I can't wait to see your peace sign in spring. It is going to be gorgeous!!!

Maybe you cold take some pics and send them to Mrs Obama, give her some ides for all that White House lawn.

The range hood looks nice.

Have a great day!!

g

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good grief... 9 yrs old ought to know better than to point that thing at somebody. :/ My brother shot the paperboy in the cheek when he was little, but he didn't mean to fire, he was standing close by talking to him. Could have put his eye out!

I like the crocus idea! Can't wait to see the "after" pic. :thumbsup

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
LOL.... Hey G I just found that piccie when I googled whirled peas... Hacky sac, looks like it.
86.gif

I know it was only a high powered pellet gun, I thought it was a BB gun. This one rings in at 1200 fps and is a high powered muscled up for competition. Its Dales weapon and he uses it to kill varmints, but in the end I am glad that I didn't get hit. We spoke today about it and he decided to lock the guns up, I was like duh.... Kids are kids you know, they are not all that smart sometimes.

I think the whole peace sign idea has been around sometime, I just never got around to gettting it done. I would guess that it will disappear and blend in once the flowers start to spread. Mrs. Obama might like the idea and pay me to help her do a peace sign over there in her house. I would charge her big bucks..
28.gif

peace.gif

21s.gif

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love the idea of the peace sign...Hmmm, I MIGHT just have to copy that from you. ;) Yeah, well, not any time soon tho, I am sure.
I just dont have the time to be plantin flowers! LOL I bet it will be beautifull!!
Love the hood. We dont even have a range hood...I am so jealous! One day I will have one over my stove, and I will be all richie rich! :p