JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1 Sept 09

Today is hubby's first day at his new job. He won't be home untill 5 pm. This is a new schedule for us both. MOST of our marriage, he has worked 2nd shift. Now, we will have dinner together.. wierd!!!:p
I have been a busy little bee this morning...

Weeded around the cucumbers....
watered the new beets coming in...
cleaned and filled the hogs water...
clean and filled the ducks water....
filled the 2 water barrels..( one in each coop.)
Cut the weeds from around the chicken yards, and threw them into the pens....
Filled all the waters and feeders... ( 12 pens) for the varried poultry.(ducks, chickens, Turkeys).....
started digging a small pond for the duck pen......
I am planning a "pond/puddle" for them to be about 5 ft across and 6 to 8 ft long, and about 4 ft deep. I am about half way there. Those silly ducks are so excited to have thier "pond" they were trying to get into the hole as I dug it... :rolleyes: My son called and promised to come out tomorrow and help me finish. :cool:
I am takeing a break...then need to start inside. Clean the kitchen, and plan dinner....I am thinking Spaghetti and meatballs...with garlic bread...and cold home canned peaches afterwards. :drool
Right now, I am so hungry...I think I could eat the south end of a north bound skunk....with mustard! :gig Guess I better go find something to nibble on...so dureing dinner I dont look or act like those 2 pigs out there. :gig

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, you have been busy. A nice cool day here. Wish I could be outside working.

justusnak said:
Right now, I am so hungry...I think I could eat the south end of a north bound skunk....with mustard! :gig Guess I better go find something to nibble on...so dureing dinner I dont look or act like those 2 pigs out there. :gig
Eww, please go eat something decent. :duc

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Your so funny. I hadn't heard the "south bound end of a north bound skunk" in a long time, especially not eating it. :gig

I'm sure you'll quickly discover how nice it is to set down with your DH at supper. Hardly a night goes by that hubby & I don't set at the same table.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well....hubby came home today... giddy as a school girl! :lol: Seems he will like this new job and we DO get a 10% discount at Lowes. """"SCORE"""" :weee We were planning to put a new front door, with sidelights on the front of the house..now we will be able to do it a little cheaper! :D
It was really nice to have someone sitting across the table dureing dinner. :) Un fortunately....that was interupted by BIL calling, and they are on thier way out. :rolleyes: So much for a quiet evening! :barnie
Well, I have news for him.....Big Brother is on tonight, and I plan to watch it ALL!! :tongue
I discovered today, I have a hen with Bumble foot. :sick I am going to have to lance the foot, and drain it...and HOPE it works. Need to find some antibiotics first, get her going on them for a few days. Poor gal, looks downright painfull. Tomorrow I am planning to finish the duck pond/puddle....and I need to make a "rooster pen" Have a few more than I really need, and the poor hens are looking rough because of it. Im gonna pen the boys up together, fatten them up, and put them in the freezer. :p Waste not want not!
I think my coffee is done....so I am going to go grab a cup, and out to the picnic table for a while...and read.
Oh, and if you all are looking for something to read....I just finished a book called The Shack. WOW!! All I can say...is that it REALLY changed me in LOTS of ways! My next reading will be 90 Minutes in Heaven, after that... 23 minutes in Hell. While I am waiting on them to come, ( got them off E Bay cheap) I am reading a book called Home for Christmas. So far, its pretty good. All of these books have a religous theme...and for real...The Shack...is a MUST READ!!!!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
One of the pastors in our church did a bible study group on The Shack. Got some mixed reactions from the "old timers". I liked it, personally. I am trying to get my parents to read it.

Glad you and DH are getting to spend some quality time together! Sounds like things are looking up!!! :hugs

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I love The Shack!! I also really, really liked 90 Minutes in Heaven. Get ready for some spine tingles. Right now I'm reading At Home in Midford (I think that's right). Got it at Goodwill for $1.

:cool: about the discount!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
6 Sept 09

Today we went to Ohio, to have the annual " last of the summer cookout" at hubbys parents. It was a great day, lots of food, and family...laughter..pictures..and memories. My in laws are in thier 70's, so I fear this will be the last cookout at thier place. It really takes a lot out of them to have everyone there.
So, we pack up, and ready for the 1 1/2 hr drive home..light rain off and on...and I finished reading 90 minutes in Heaven. What a story!
We pull into the drive, and I hopped out so I could go check the animals. Imaginf MY surprise, when I walked up to the front porch, only to be greeted by one of my hogs! She ran up to me like a golden retriever! :rolleyes: I scratched her head, grabbed a bucket, and proceeded to lead her backl to the pen. Well, of course, SHE was not ready to give up the lush green grasses...and my veggie garden. :/ Hubby came over, and we chased that hog for about 30 minutes. I called my son, he followed us to Ohio, and was on his way home. I told him, " the hog is out, come back, and help!" He turned around, and came back....another 20 minutes chaseing a now very exausted hog, we FINALLY get her back into the pen....located the hole, and piled cinderblocks up, just for tonight. She ran straight for the corner of the pen, and laid down, totally exausted! I made sure there was plenty water, and food, and then went on to finish the other chores. Chickens, Ducks, Turkeys, and Sheep all needed teneded before dark. Hubby came inside...I think just about as exausted as the hog! :lol: I am just glad we finally got her inside the pen. Tomorrow ,my sister is coming out, and she and I are going to reinforce the pen while hubby is at work. ( I just love saying that, while he is at work) :D
I will get out there early, and make sure they stay put, untill I can get some help with the fencing. What a day! Oh, and to top it off...I think the male hog, has pinkeye! His right eye is very red, and there is puss looking stuff around it. I cant get to the vet untill Tuesday..so I hope he will be alright!Guess I will have to dose them both....just hopeing whatever we have to use, will be out of thier system before the October 30th slaughter date. :/ Going to finish my mail...then off to bed for me! Hope everyone had a great Labor Day weekend!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Oh, and if you all are looking for something to read....I just finished a book called The Shack. WOW!! All I can say...is that it REALLY changed me in LOTS of ways! My next reading will be 90 Minutes in Heaven, after that... 23 minutes in Hell. While I am waiting on them to come, ( got them off E Bay cheap) I am reading a book called Home for Christmas. So far, its pretty good. All of these books have a religous theme...and for real...The Shack...is a MUST READ!!!!!
Justusnak, I read this book for the first time recently and had the same reaction! I just wanted to tell everyone that they really, really need to read it. I agree....its IS a must read! I'm trying to get my mom to listen to it on audio book....it's very moving on audio.