JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Busy busy girl!

Sounds like you are pretty much ready for winter! We don't really have winters here, not like most everyone else here....so I romanticize the whole winter prep thing. Seems so natural and exciting in a way. I just love the change of seasons and I love rain, off course we only get a small amount every year. Our average all year is only10 inches, last year we got 7 and the year before 3! Can you imagine?

So how did things end with your sister and the pig?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dace said:
Busy busy girl!

Sounds like you are pretty much ready for winter! We don't really have winters here, not like most everyone else here....so I romanticize the whole winter prep thing. Seems so natural and exciting in a way. I just love the change of seasons and I love rain, off course we only get a small amount every year. Our average all year is only10 inches, last year we got 7 and the year before 3! Can you imagine?

So how did things end with your sister and the pig?
Wow, only 10 inches a year?? I am pretty sure we got 10 inches of rain in October.. :/ I guess keeping things alive would be hard either way...too much rain, not enough.
Well, with my sister...she decided she did not want the pig. :rolleyes: She said if they cant smoke the hams or bacon, she didnt want any of it! She is such a "rich spoiled" brat!
No worry tho...my son who DID help me, decided he wants to "BUY" some of the pork. I told him I would give him some, he insists he wants to pay $1.00 a pound. I also have a friend...who said she would pay $1.00 a pound for any he didnt want. So, for the most part...it worked out...just not the way it was supposed to! Oh well...this way, the pig will feed 3 families, instead of one spoiled rich one. I like it better that way. Makes me feel like all my hard work is worth it!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am glad that it worked out!

So next year are you going to raise up one to sell? I had no idea that buying a male had any risks to it....good to know sine I am on the hunt for someone to raise me a piggy!

I keep wondering if I couldn't do it myself. I have the room I just don't think it is legal here. If it were legal, how long would the little guy be in my yard?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Raiseing a pig is not "hard" Keeping them in the pen you build is hard! LOL Mine were escape artists. I will be building a new pen, hopefully escape proof next year. Oh, and it will include electric fencing! LOL
As for how long...well, it really depends on how big you want them, but generally 6 months. Total cost for feed was $150. per pig...and butcher cost are $150 for the 275 pounder. This includes : butcher, wrap, and smoke. So...$300 for about 175 more/less pork. I will know the true weighs some time this week. It works out to roughly $2.00 a pound. However, this includes pork chops, tenderloins, Ham, ham hocks, bacon, sausage, and ground pork. Plus, you get the joy of raiseing a pig...and know its going to be good meat because you controll what goes INTO the pig.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I just watched an episode of BBC's "Escape to River Cottage", I think it was episode 6 ... that told how to cure a ham. You should really look it up and watch the episodes if you haven't already. Factual TV - Then type in River Cottage in the search bar.

LOTS of info for us!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks FF, I found a wonderfull site...I think I posted it in my other discussion..." need family advice" This man has so much info on his site...and very easy instructions on cureing and smokeing a ham.

http://sugarmtnfarm.com/blog/2006/04/how-to-brine-ham.html
He also has some interesting info on "Boar meat"
9 Nov 09

Woke up this morning with the intentions of getting laundry done. Wouldn't you know it...the darned septic drain is clogged AGAIN! I worked on it for just over an hour, but was finally able to clear it, and get started on laundry. I was able to get 4 loads finished...opened the barn to air it out some, and the coops as well.
Pulled the pork shoulder I smoked yesterday, and added BBQ sauce for supper. Hubby really enjoyed it.
I called the septic guy, he will be out tomorrow evening, to see if the ground is dry enough to get started on putting in the new septic. I hope so! :fl Its getting late in the year, and he wont be able to dig if we start getting snow. We NEED this done ASAP! We always have the family here for the holidays, and...well...I dont think asking everyone to use a portelette would be good. :lol:
Tomorrow I am headed to get about 15 bales of Hay. Hopeing this will get the sheep through winter. I am thinking it will....with feed as well. I also have to pick up more dog food, for Falcor. Man can that boy eat!! I am used to feeding pomeranians....not GIANTS! LOL
This morning when I went to the barn, to feed....I was greeted by the most AWFULL smell! That crazy dog poo'ed in the barn!! :sick
What was HE thinking!?? I scooped it out, and opened the barn to freshen it a bit. He and I sat down and had a long talk....he was hanging his head in shame when I was finished with him. :p hopefully he has learned.
I was able to get most of the grass cut today...hopeing its the LAST cut of the season. Tomorrow I will work on the other side...and hopefully get that finished early enough so I can load my truck with some firewood, and get it hauled over here. I am hopeing to get at least 3 truckloads done tomorrow. This getting dark early is messing with me. I dont seem to have enough daylight hours...its crunch time!!

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I know what you mean about this early sunset. You just cannot get anything done.
I had wanted a nap today after a rather large lunch, but I didn't want to waste the daylight hours. So I just closed my eyes for a few minutes and then went out to help cut down some old apple trees and put the branches away. I also helped mom cut the rasberries and other tall dead things from her garden. It was too dark to work in no time - and cold. brrr. Now I'm sitting in her computer room on a heating pad, with a blanket on my lap.
Tommorrow, I think she want to cut the scrubby brush around her garden and we'll need to haul some more wood into the house.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Cool site thanks for sharing!

I am in agreement about the short days. I need to get two turkeys butchered this week sometime (since I went to the lake instead), yet I don't know how I am going to get it done. By the time I get home from work and do a few chores around here it is already dark! I may be plucking by porch light! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
yup, these short days are getting harder and harder. I jsut can't seem to get everything done in one day, that I plan. Guess I need to shorten the plans! LOL Just hopeing to get it all done before winter gets me. I still need to clear the gardens...UGH! Not enough time....Maybe I will park the truck faceing the garden tomorrow evening, and clear it by headlights! LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So I get a call from a woman today...she had bought 2 Kahtadin ewes a few months ago. ( this woman is a little off her rocker) She had no pasture set up for them...but has DOG collars on them, and has had them tied to trees. :rolleyes: She said they were preggers, and from what I can tell...one is pretty close to lambing. She is bagged up pretty large. Anyways...she panicked about them haveing lambs soon...and her not haveing a barn/shelter or even pasture for them, and asked me to take them. Hmmm, ok, I can do that. So, she brings them over, in the back of her minivan...and we set them in the stall. Yup, definately preggers...but I have no idea when they are due! Can I turn them out with my shetlands?? Should I keep them in the stall for a few days? They have never been around dogs, and I have a LGD. Will he cause them to prematurely lamb? Any advice?? HELP!!:lol: