JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thats for sure!! Maybe the Lord heard me whining!?? :hide Whatever the reason...I sure enjoyed the day! FF, I wish you MANY days of sunshine!!!!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You know how we homesteaders are. Too many days of sunshine and we are whining about needing rain again! :lol:

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
You know how we homesteaders are. Too many days of sunshine and we are whining about needing rain again! :lol:
:yuckyuck Yup...hard to please bunch aren't we!? :lol:

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Man Is A Fool

As a rule, man is a fool,
When it's hot, he wants it cool;
When it's cool, he wants it hot,
Always wanting what is not.

Anonymous :old

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Boy, what a difference a little warmth can make in everybody! We finally have sunshine here too and my achy muscles feel better already! Glad you had such a wonderful day! :hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Another day of sunshine! Ahhhh, how it recharges the soul! Im headed outside! Have a great day all!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like the sunshine is just what you needed. Enjoy every minute you can!! have a great day!

gina

ps what type of animal is Falcor???

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Falcor is my Great Pyrenese. I have had him only 2 weeks now, and love him so much. He is a gentle GIANT! Well...most of the time. Let someone ride a bike down HIS road! LOL Sounds like the hounds from hell.
99_falcornmary.jpg

Here he is with Mary...the little outcast lamb. She has been outcast from the flock since I got her last summer. The others just dont like her, and wont let he in the barn when it rains. ( MEANIES) BUT, now that Falcor is here...he loves her so much, and will lay in the pasture with her curled up at his belly. When it rains, he TAKES her into the barn.
Today I was able to work on the Pheasant pen a little. I transplanted a small cedar tree into the run. Its really small, like maybe 2 ft tall. But, they grow so fast, it should be a great cover for them this next summer. I also put in a large pile of branches..and a few logs. They love climbing through them already. I had a few extra corn stalks...and bent them in half, and put them in there as well. The female loves hideing in them. I need figure out what type of nest box she will need next spring...and get to work on it as well.
Oh, and my little German Owl Pigeon layed an egg today. :love Sooo tiny, and so cute! I am guessing she is comfortable in her new houseing...since she started laying. Im just not sure I want her to start hatching this late! What to do, what to do?? LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
8 Nov 09

Wow, it has been a few weeks since I have posted. Seems life is in a whirlwind lately. So much to do, so llittle time. We got way behind this late summer because of all the rain. Now, its crunch time.
The male pheasant didnt make it. He was not well when I brought him home. :( Now I have one little lonely hen Silver Pheasant. I will be looking for a pair....soon.
Got the pigs off to the butcher. YEAH!! :weee No more hauling feed to them, and no more fence mending! I have already started to tear out the old hog pen, and will be building a new one come spring. At least...thats the plan! ;)
Have been working in the barn for the last few days...trying to get it winterized. On the south side of the barn, there were 2 windows, at one time. Over the years I guess they were broken, and boarded up. Because of the lack of light....wierd little fungi have been growing in the gravel. :/ So, I got a few panes of glass out of the top of the barn, and replaced the windows. I can't believe how much light it lets in. I am hopeing it will help keep it a little warmer in there as well this winter. Rebuilt the 2 stall doors...for lambing time..and patched a few places where snow might blow in. So, the barn is taken care of..now its time to get Hay in for winter. :/
Cleaned the coops really well...dusted out the cobwebs...freshened the bedding..and put plastic over the south door. Still need to fix the seals around the pop doors.
Firewood is mostly done.. :th what a chore. Now we are in the process of moveing it a little closer to the house. I dont want it right next to the house, but lots closer than it is. Right now it is about 500 yards away. Wont work for me once the winter winds start howling! LOL
Yesterday hubby and I fixed the pipe on the woodstove in the shop. It had blown down last summer and we really didnt have time to fix it then. So, now, he can go out to his shop, and stay warm this winter..at least.. a little warmer!
I sure wish we could get a few weeks without rain....waiting on the septic to be put in. Just about the time the ground drys up...we get rain. UGH! Cant get the new septic if the ground is holding water. I will be so happy, when and IF this gets done.
Today I will be cutting the grass...hopefully for the last time for this year. This is a 4 hour job. UGH! I always like cutting grass...in alte spring, early summer...then...it becomes a J O B ! I dont like JOBS! LOL I am going to also fire up the smoker...and hopefully get a small pork roast smoked for dinner. I guess I better get on it hu? :)
Oh, I was wondering....if the pork belly has already been sliced....can I still smoke it and if so...how? Since the butcher couldnt smoke the male pig, due to him being a "partial boar" The hams and bacon are fresh. NOT my favorite...so Iw as wanting to smoke them if possible. Anyone?
OK, I need to get that smoker going..and saddle up to the lawn mower.