JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
WOW, lucky you! :) I'd keep them in the pen for a few days until they get settled and see how they do with your shetlands. If you think she is going to lamb any day and you can easily keep her penned, it might be a good idea just to leave them in the lambing jug for now.

Remember....pics of the babies are in order! ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Remember....pics of the babies are in order! ;)
Oh, I will get plenty. I was reading up on them online...and it says twins are most common, however tripplets are as well. These are 3 yr olds....so...who knows! LOL Guess I will have some spring lambs to sell! LOL I guess I am more worried if they have never been around dogs...that my GPD might spook them enough to make them miscarry. :( Being that they are not used to being inside a barn/shelter....I dont want to stress them by leaving them locked in too much either.....Ohhh, the many scenarios that could play out! Guess I will just have to watch them for signs of stress....once I DO let them out..and make sure everyone is getting along. Poor girls..im sure they are freaking out some now, over thier situation. It will get better....soon!!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Don't worry TOO much justus! Just watch for those stress signs. They are probably as freaked out as they ever will be right now with the move and all. After they realize how good they have it, it will only get better.

If it was me I would probably just leave them shut up together for a few days, until they get a bit more comfortable. You might just walk the dog in with you when you feed a time or two then take him on out. That way the good thing of feed and the scary thing of dog will go together. I think it would take something more like trauma to get them to lamb prematurely - like getting chased by dogs. Most sheep have seen a dog before in some way and Falcor being a LGD should be big and calm and most "sheep like" to them. Especially in small doses at first.

I wouldn't be in a big hurry to introduce them to your Shetlands just yet. Working out the pecking order in a new herd might stress them more than the dog.

All and all I would say if they survived the collars, tie out, poor feed and the other lady they will probably be quite sturdy and resilient. I am so glad she gave them to you! And yes of course we NEED pictures! :D

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks FF....I am keeping them in a few days..just untill they know this is home, and a good place to be. Falcor can look over the stall gate, and come nose to nose with them. :love He is such a sweet dog.
I had a dear friend and her Hubby come over this morning...and show me how to trim thier hooves. The one had such bad hooves...it will take several trimmings to get them back in shape. They were curling up. :( They sat fine once he got them sat...and just let him do what needed to be done. I know she was thankfull to be able to walk without such discomfort. She was pawing at the straw bedding...like they were hurting her this morning. Or, maybe she is getting ready to lamb! LOL I dont know. Either way...thier hoofs are looking better...and my friend and her hubby will come back in a week or so, and help me trim a bit more.
So, here are the girls....no names yet..

99_new_sheep.jpg

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree Dace..these gals will never be tied up again. I will leave the collars on them, untill I know they are easy to catch and handle.Mainly because of the hoof trimmings they will still need.
They sure are stong! Drug me all over trying to get them settled, for trimming. ;)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love some suggestions!! So far...we have April, Nelly, Mary, and the ram is Sonny Boy. These 2 need "special " names.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Autumn, Precious, Glory, um...

I'll come up with more!