On-The-Go Snacks?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I meet a friend about once a week and we usually go to a large shopping mall so we get exercise walking and our kids (ages 2 and 3) can run around.

We've always had lunch at the food court. And now I can't. I'll eat an early lunch at home, but after driving, it will be about 2 hours between when I eat and lunchtime.

Any ideas for no-refrigeration-needed, no-sugar, no-grain snacks that can hold up to the temptation of fast-food 18" from my face?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nuts.
Peanut butter and celery.
Bag of veggies.
Hard boiled eggs.

I know it seems boring, I struggle with it. :/

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it's just two hours then cheese should be just fine, especially if you put it in bigger chunks. I love me some cheese.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Apple Flax Muffins

1 and 1/4 cup flax seed meal
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 Tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
Artificial sweetener equal to 3/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup can be flavored sugar-free syrup)
4 large eggs, beaten
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup liquid (flavored syrup or water)
1 Tablespoon vanilla
1 medium apple, chopped fairly finely
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 12-muffin tin very well.

1. Mix the dry ingredients together, then add the rest of them.

2. Let batter stand 10 minutes, then put into the muffin pan and bake for about 18 minutes until toothpick comes out clean and muffins just barely start to pull away from the sides of the tin.

Nutritional Information: Each muffin contains 2 grams link ecc effective carbohydrate plus 5 grams fiber.

I used splenda, since I didn't know how to convert stevia for this, but next time I make it, I will use the stevia. I found them sweet enough that I could definitely be dine with less.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
almond meal or coconut meal bread slathered in cream cheese.

nuts

olives

jicama slices with hummus, cheese, or dip

honestly, i carry a lunch bag of food with me. often. i have little containers to hold olives so they don't squish. i pick foods that are still good warm.

brie and a tart apple, for example. whereas i find cheddar gross hot.

i'm getting into kawaii bento. these are CUTE fun lunchboxes in japanese style ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
abifae said:
almond meal or coconut meal bread slathered in cream cheese.

nuts

olives

jicama slices with hummus, cheese, or dip

honestly, i carry a lunch bag of food with me. often. i have little containers to hold olives so they don't squish. i pick foods that are still good warm.

brie and a tart apple, for example. whereas i find cheddar gross hot.

i'm getting into kawaii bento. these are CUTE fun lunchboxes in japanese style ;)
We love our Bento boxes and our tiffins. There's an entire BYC thread devoted to bento!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Skip the mall and walk at Home Depot or a garden center....no food smells there! Just have to get past the hotdog stand in front of Home Depot...