Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh my gosh, they are Absolutely beautiful! Funny, they seriously resemble the fat rats at my house? Great pics!
I have Chicken News too! My younger Cuckoo Marans are starting to lay now, the chicks that I got last year have FINALLY started laying! They arent freeloaders anymore:D I still need to check fertility, egg color is looking good, about a 5 on the color scale (one is low but with dark spots, really cute actually!) Camera is in the shop so no pics!
Take care! Tina/tfpets

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am feeling 100% better.

BIL and SIL are moving back to Ohio from Florida.

Dh is getting me something for my birthday, but we don't pick up until Thursday evening.

Been trying to get the house and chicken coops clean between snow falls lolol

Oh, I opened all the pens the other day, to let everyone free range a bit, even the new kids. No big problems, other than a couple dominance challenges between some of the boys that I put a stop to pretty quickly. Then I went out to shut the pens for the night everyone had gone to their own pen! I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure I would at least have to put the new chickerdoodles back in the pen, but nope, they went in on their own.

I think I will keep doing this for a week or so, letting them work out the pecking order outside of their coops so that they can get away from eachother if need be. So far, Louisa, Polk, Quincy, Monroe, and Elizabeth stick together even when free ranging while all the other chooks are scattered in a million directions.

Everyone who comes to visit and sees my Fab Five just fall in love! They just can't get over how beautiful they are...and this is my chest puffed out with pride LOLOL

Thanks keljonma! I just love them soooooooooo much!!!

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
QA, you are back. I hadnt seen you. Glad you are better. I love the ferrets. Cleaning out coops and pens in the winter, yuck,
Glad the newcomers are transitioning smoothly, lol.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
I am feeling 100% better.
Wonderful news! I was starting to get worried.

Quail_Antwerp said:
Oh, I opened all the pens the other day, to let everyone free range a bit, even the new kids. No big problems, other than a couple dominance challenges between some of the boys that I put a stop to pretty quickly. Then I went out to shut the pens for the night everyone had gone to their own pen! I couldn't believe it! I thought for sure I would at least have to put the new chickerdoodles back in the pen, but nope, they went in on their own. I think I will keep doing this for a week or so, letting them work out the pecking order outside of their coops so that they can get away from eachother if need be.
That sounds like a good plan. Sure is great when they go where they are supposed to at night, isn't it? Is Elizabeth still doing the Royalty act? :D

Quail_Antwerp said:
So far, Louisa, Polk, Quincy, Monroe, and Elizabeth stick together even when free ranging while all the other chooks are scattered in a million directions.
That is what they did most of the time here too! After they get settled, they started exploring more, but still stuck pretty close together. Aren't they funny?!

Quail_Antwerp said:
Everyone who comes to visit and sees my Fab Five just fall in love! They just can't get over how beautiful they are...and this is my chest puffed out with pride LOLOL

Thanks keljonma! I just love them soooooooooo much!!!
Fab Five - sounds like a rock band from the 60's... ;) We're glad you are happy with them.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Glad you are better. I sure need to clean out my chicken houses but got to wait until it dries out some. I just love Mississippi rain.

I love to watch the interplay between both groups when I let them free range. Here they do a little "I'm king" "No, I'm king" thing for a few minutes and then seperate to different sides of the yard. I have two cornish bantums that work together on the bigger roo from down the hill. He is three times their size but they can sure run him back to his corner.

Did you tell us yet what DH is getting you or do you know. I have missed some reading so may have missed it.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Well, I said DH is getting me something..

In another thread I said they are four legged...lol

They also have tails.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Aly!! Missed you and your inbox was full, so I couldn't write back to you last time! Its hard to catch up on your thread because you are into sooooooo many things!

So glad the SIL won't be moving next door!

The ferrets are so cute!

Sorry about your hubby's job status...he'll find something better next time...everything happens for a reason, I always say!

When is your birthday? I might have missed that info! I haven't had a chance to call you, as I've been out of town for Thanksgiving.

When I get my PC fixed, I'm going to take the time to read up on all your comings and goings on here!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Bee, today is my birthday. :)