Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Well since tomorrow is supposed to be nice, we ran off to Lowe's today and picked up a couple items to finish some projects - or at least partially finish - some stuff around here.

I need to replace a sheet of tin on my coop addition, because the patched pieces are leaking. So, we picked up a piece today and tomorrow we'll put it on.

We also picked up 3 more decking boards for our front deck. Looks like we'll only need 3 more, maybe 3 and a half, and our front deck is done. :celebrate We'll be putting the 3 new boards down tomorrow.

I'm also hoping once we get the new piece of tin up on my coop, we can hang up the light in it. We're also going to put in another shelf along the other wall.

Plus the kids have their weeks' assignments to turn in tomorrow.

Becca and I were bad again - and did another chick order. So sometime, and I'm not sure when, I have coming from Nature's Hatchery I'm getting the following Bantams: 5 Lavender Cochins, 5 Gold Laced Cochins, 5 Black Sumatras, and 5 Mottled Cochins.

I cannot wait for them to arrive! And because of how we've re-organized things outside, I shouldn't have to brood in the house! (I hope)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
So far, we've managed to get two jobs done:

- new tin on chicken barn roof
- boards screwed down on front deck

Third job, I did manage to get DS1 through some lessons and assignments turned in.

There was talk of some things we could go do tomorrow, but E and I have decided that as long as we have a break in the rain, we need to get as much outdoor stuff done as possible.

There's not enough hours in the day. Seriously.

I did all of my feeding early this morning, so hopefully all I'll have to do is refill waterers later today.

I feel like taking a nap, but can't. Sure would like one, though.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You two must be having some really nice weather. If Aly has been gone this long she must be outside.

I hope all is well.

gina

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Gina, here in NE Ohio, we hit 85 yesterday and are forecast to stay between 70 and mid 80s through the Memorial week-end; perfect zone 5a weather for Memorial Day planting. :lol:

QA is in zone 6, so she should have had better (warmer) weather. My guess is that she is wrapping up the school homework assignments and doing her usual farm and garden stints. I'm not sure if she still has lots of poultry to sell. But I would think she probably has lots to get done, so that she can concentrate on the SS gathering at her place July 4th.

Hey, QA! Give us a holler! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I figured she got her well hooked up and is standing in the shower!!! :p
HA! I wish! not yet, but working on it.

The temps have been unusually warm for this time of year, so we've been outside busting butt getting things done.

My Bantam Buff Brahmas now have their own small pen with Bantam sized coop. I even used the jigsaw myself to cut out their little pop door. They'll be going to a new home if they don't start laying by the July swap meet, that's for sure!

My blue fawn pied call ducks are hatching babies right now! The first baby that hatched has a beautiful little round head and tiny bill - so I think I'll have to keep that one. We're planning to keep the best of the best babies for next year's breeding season.

Had a bit of sadness here, too. My Dominique hen has spent the last two days trying to pass an egg. I tried to help her by rubbing some vaseline on her bum. Today, we found her dead and the egg was still stuck. :(

Other than that, things are OK. Trying to sell some hatching eggs on BYC and made a lot of swaps on the Crazy Egg Chain - so lots of incubating going on here.

Plus the kids are working double time to get the last of their assignments turned in. Next week is the oldest 2's last week of school, and then my youngest who is in school has 1 more week after them.

They'll get most of June off, but I set up their schedule for the next school year. They have two weeks of school in July and August, 3 weeks in September, and then they go until May 13 of next year with the week of Thanksgiving and 2 weeks at Christmas off. :) This way, they get to finish earlier next spring.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your hen. Other than that is sounds like you are off and running for a busy spring time. Great gob with the jig saw. Those can come in handy. Take care and stay cool.

gina

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, you have been busy. You used a jigsaw!?? Now you need to graduate to a sawsall!! MAN OH MAN...you can cut ANYTHING with those. I have been useing hubbys for just about everything here lately. Then, I got brave, and got the compressor...and the cut off wheel. :p I made gutters out of downspout, for my small coop. IT WORKED..and I still have all my fingers! :lol:
Sorry to hear about the hen, we are going through the same thing...its not looking good...I dont think she will make it more than a few more days....if im lucky. SHe is walking...eating, and drinking...but VERY swollen, and she waddles. :/