Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Alaska???? :barnie What did I miss??? Woman yo have some serious poultry going on.

Is this heat normal for you this early in the year?

gina

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Alaska???? :barnie What did I miss??? Woman yo have some serious poultry going on.

Is this heat normal for you this early in the year?

gina
You've missed nothing. It was just talk - not even serious talk, more like a "well, if we really wanted to this is what we'd have to do to make it work". And, well, as nice and as unromantic as Alaska sounds, it's not really plausible for us to move there. Nice to talk and dream though. So that's all it is - talking and dreaming.

No, this heat is NOT normal for us this early - and I don't like it.

Neither do my ducks. One of my Mama Mallards actually stamped her foot at me, as if this heat was somehow my fault.

We're in taking a short - and I do mean short - break. We've nearly finished our turkey pen, and have hopes of knocking out a temporary goat pen before calling it a day.

Tomorrow is Auction and I'm taking a few not so nice and I don't want to use for my breeding program adolescent bantams tomorrow. Plus we're taking the Dom roo, too.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey! i'm popping in to say hi.. been sooooo busy and they heat has got me beat down. we worked our butts off yesterday then had to make nice-nice with the MIL today after church. boo.

i laughed when i read the thing about alaska. i had considered it also.. but dang girl, remember the winter and HATED IT.. only worse there baby!

and yep the snippy comments from others about our life had me down too.. but i snapped out of it..and so will you, i just know it!

i just came in from hosing down the grass for the baby ducks and chicks. they are hot hot hot and all the turkeys are in a fit right now.

hang in there baby! and go and get something cool to drink.

:)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a nice who just let for Alaska yesterday. Somehow she know a guy who runs a lodge and she is going to go be the cook. I guess it's a summer gig. What it is to be young and care free. I asked her to start a blog. She reminded me they might not have Internet. opps. I forgot.

My sister used to go and work on the canning boats. Geesh I think I missed my chance.

g

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I should really point out that it's not ME who keeps bringing up moving to Alaska - my top choice is to move to Georgia or back to Tennessee.

We only live in Ohio because that's where HE wanted to live. And we owned this ground. But I was perfectly happy right there in Tennessee.

But Tennessee is ruined for us now. That's where his sister and the freakazoid niece and nephews live. That state's not big enough for all of us, so we'll stay here.

How about some pictures???

Meet Harry and Sally :) They are the blue frizzle cochin bantam pair I got at Mt. Hope during the swap.

328_picture_001.jpg

This is Hope - she's in the new temporary goat pasture. It's a temp pen until we get the permanent one done. The goats were kicked out of the dog kennel today as we turned that into a covered turkey pen.

328_picture_003.jpg

This is Sassy. She's fits her name, too.

328_picture_004.jpg

And this is my new Bantam Cochin Coop. :D This is a summer house that we're building for Harry and Sally, all out of recycled materials. :D (even the nails are rusty!!!!)

328_picture_005.jpg

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
It's not done yet. I'm hoping we can finish it after the auction tomorrow.

I'll put up more pics after it's all done. :D

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
It's Memorial Day.

Which means super duper huge auction.

Which means all the local loco's and weirdos are out.

It totally sucked. As of today, I hate the auction. Period.

I took 3 boxes of chicks - 2 BB Red OEG Bantam Pullets in one, 2 Quail d'Anvers in another, and a quail d'anver and Mille Fleur in another.

Plus the mean Welsummer Rooster who flogged my son, which ended in a trip to the ER and the Dom rooster who's mate died.

Then.

It rained off and on.

E wanted to go home because it was a total mad house -wall to wall people. It sucked.

edited to remove personal ranting about friend.

So, Memorial Day sucked here.

Hope ya'll had a great day.