Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Actually, we had borrowed Becca's sawsall last year. I don't remember if I used it or not. I know E did.

My favorite saw that we have is our cordless saw. I cut a lot with that! Just today I went and got it out of the barn and started sawing what I needed for the project I was working on. I glanced up and saw E staring at me with a big dopey grin on his face. He thinks it's sexy when I use the power tools :lol: I think, really, though, he was pleased to see I just went and got it and did it myself without bothering him.

I'm a big girl now! :lol:

My current project is the indoor bantam breeding pens in my coop addition. I'm trying to build 6 individual pens that will hold my Bantam Cochins, Mille Fleurs, and Quail d'Anvers.

Today I also made a small discovery - I've been drooling over everyone's Mille Fleur Cochin's on BYC - and while I do have an egg trade in the works with a BYC member for some Mille Fleur Cochin eggs, I suddenly realized I have everything I need here to work on my own Mille Fleur Cochin project!

And no, I'm not telling what I'm using for my recipe...I want to see what I get out of my first crossing.

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'd be in big trouble it I didn't use the tools myself - it does make you feel good when you do it yourself doesn't it :)

I feel lazy compared to all you have going - good luck with the project. and of course when you get your first cross you have to share them with us.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your Dominique hen....

Sounds like you have been really productive! :thumbsup

Have a TERRIFIC holiday week-end!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
good Sunday morning.

I just want to say:

THERE'S NO SHAME IN FARMING FOR A LIVING INSTEAD OF WORKING AN HOURLY JOB 40 HOURS A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rant :rant :somad :somad :duc :duc

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
good Sunday morning.

I just want to say:

THERE'S NO SHAME IN FARMING FOR A LIVING INSTEAD OF WORKING AN HOURLY JOB 40 HOURS A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a long line of ancestors and family members backing you up!! :frow

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
good Sunday morning.

I just want to say:

If so it is the shame that feeds the world!

The sky is big and blue and the sun is shining ... just as God designed it to do. Remember he also created people to "tend the garden" and worship him. As we farm we are always very close to the earth and to God.

Have a smiling blessed Sunday! :) :hugs

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
good Sunday morning.

I just want to say:

:hugs Nope there isn't anyone who says different doesn't know what they are talking about

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
No one's giving us grief, it was more of a "pep talk" to myself. I need to convince MYSELF that there's no shame in and learn to ignore my family's disappointment when I don't do as they wish because I put the farm animals and my family first.

That was also posted before my first cup of coffee, before breakfast, and I was feeling cranky. Real cranky.

Anyhoo - onward and upward.

We've already been outside and watered/fed everyone and OMG is it already HOT. I think the ducks are threatening to MELT!

The other day I posted that my calls were hatching babies, well the mom's fought over the first hatchling, and in their squabble, killed it. He was perfect, too. :( So I took all the eggs, put them in the 'bator, and cleaned out their nest. Told them in a not so nice manner that their new orders are to lay lay and lay some more or else.

There was 13 eggs to start with - counting the one that hatched outside and they killed. Only 11 went into my incubator, as one of them upon candling had quit awhile ago. Two have since hatched, 3 more are pipped, 2 still seem to have a couple weeks to go, and the remaining three look to have another week to go.

That means my ducks were stealing all the new eggs that were being laid by my third duck.

No wonder I wasn't getting eggs!

We also had the last remaining guinea egg from our Royal Purple Guineas in there. We had sold the guinea's a little over a month ago. He hatched today - I have to say baby guineas are sooo cute!

I have a few Welsummers due to hatch tomorrow/Monday from my own flock, but when I candled last night before lock down I couldn't really see any movement. :fl still hoping. Fertility has been 100% with all of my chicken breeds right now, but I've been having not so great hatches due to a few temp spikes and humidity issues.

Ducks, guineas, and turkeys have been my best hatches so far this year.

I also have due this week - on the third I think - some Blue Laced Red Wyandottes from the Barber lines and some Lavender Orps due - both sets of eggs came from yotetrapper on BYC. I've only got like 1-2 BLRW left out of 7, and I think 4-5 of the Lavender Orps.

I just set this past week a whole slew of BBS Orps from 3 different sources and a couple batches of BBS Cochins from different sources.

Then there's the bantam cochins...........I've set mottled so far and some Columbian Cochin Bantams should be arriving next week...

Did I tell ya'll that bantam Cochins are my new addiction? They're like Chicken Crack for People I tell ya!

Who am I kidding?? I'm just addicted to Bantams!!

E and I did discuss that if we do end up selling off everything and moving to Alaska, since I am NPIP now, I could possibly back up the Bantams and move them with us.....

but that's just talking....

In other farm related news, our quail d'anver hen FINALLY lays her first egg of the year - and what do I do? I broke it. :(