Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow, they are just tiny! Daisy and Bo are cute too! Are they "kissing cousins" :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
But you know on TV they were cousins!!! :p
Yes, I know....but these are redneck hillbilly rabbits from the back hills...and that's all I's saying :p :lol:

We went to Becca's today and helped her in the garden. E wanted to be home by 5 pm - but that didn't happen with him and he was like, "We almost got this done, we can stay a bit longer." He loves working in the garden.

I also brought home some chicks that Becca had hatched. She's needing the brooder space - what with 200 or so more eggs in her Dickey (I've decided that I don't think I want a cabinet incubator....the temptation to set nearly 300 eggs would be too great and then where do all the hatchlings go?????).

I brought home 6 guinea keets, 8 Black Copper Marans from the Jean Wade line, 6 Columbian Wyandottes, and 2 Cochin Cockerels (1 Blue Splash and 1 Blue).

We might be going back over tomorrow afternoon to help her some more, but in the morning I need to ship out another box of eggs and I kind of want to go to the Farmer's Market and look around. I'm also kind of interested in finding out about setting up as a vendor at the Farmer's Market...as in a few weeks, we may have fresh garden produce we can sell!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on the kits! One day, I might dive into rabbits...no, waite, I cant...I wont be able to process them! Toooo cute!!
Congrats on the BC Marans! I have been drooling over that breed for a long time. One day...yup, I will.
I was thinking....setting at the farmers market...but I dont think my garden will be large enough to sell anything. I need to cann it all! LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I picked up a pair of peachicks today! Ok, I don't know what else to call them except for peachicks, so if that's not the proper term, forgive me :p

We don't know if we got a boy and a girl, but we're hoping we have one of each.

Originally I was supposed to get 4 peafowl eggs, but I was hoping to get India Blues but he couldn't find her nest to get eggs. So, yesterday the guy calls and says he has some that hatched around the 8-10 of June, and he'll give me 2 of the babies.

The daddy to both is either a Purple or a Black Shoulder. The mom to the one is a white and the mom to the other is either a white or purple.

So, not sure what colors I'll have until they are grown, but I'm super excited!!

E wants me to raise them up to so big and sell them, I'm like NO way! I've got 'em, I'm keeping 'em! The only downside is, it takes 3 years before they are mature enough to reproduce. :(

I also have decided that I'm never going to have a breeding pair of Toulouse. I manage to get goslings, and something always happens to one or both. Today, I found one of my Toulouse goslings dead. :hit So, I'm planning to sell the other gosling and just keep my Sebbies. Which makes E happy because he thinks I should only have one breed of goose and not two (or six).

I had two muscovy ducklings hatch yesterday while we were at church. I thought they were both black and white, but one is a bit lighter than the other so I'm curious to see if it turns out to be a blue.

I have a rouen and another muscovy pipping in the 'bator. Possibly another call duck, too. As of Saturday, call duckling count is up to 5, with the two new hatchlings that hatched on Saturday. I also hatched a Spitzhauben, and I have BBS Orps, BLR Wyandottes, and Buff Orps all due over the next couple days

I never thought I'd say this, but I'm so over the whole incubating/hatching thing. :/ I'm ready to be done for the year.

Daisy's kits are already growing in their fur. I think they may have already doubled their size, too! They are all little fatties, and sooo cute. I'll have to get pictures today or tomorrow and post them again.

And now I've come to our really big news:

We are moving.

Yes, you read that right. We are moving. Lock, stock, and barrel. Right now we're sorting through belongings, planning a yard sale, and making choices about what we're keeping and what we no longer need and/or what we can live without.

All of my hatching has to be done by end of July, because we're planning the move for the second/third week of August, and hopefully be completely done by September 1.

We're super excited about it. :weee

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moving!?!? How exciting! But... where? And your well! Oh well, it will add to the value of the property if you sell.

There is a breeding pair of peafowl that wander our neighborhood. I don't even know who they belong to. I love their call, it sounds so exotic!

:pop

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oooooooo, please tell me that the new place already has a well!!! :lol:

Where are you moving to??? :caf

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Oh yes, the new place already has the well! :lol:

We're not moving too far. Actually, it's so close we expect to have all of the moving, unpacking, and arranging done within a week or so.

As for where we're moving to.....................................

we're moving allll the way across our yard :lol: :gig

We're getting another trailer. It's not brand new, it's a 14x70 and it we're setting a goal of having it pulled in by the second week of August. :lol:

It has brand new carpet in the living room, is a '92, but has been sooo well taken care of it looks brand new.

In the long run, it's going to save us some money. We'll be able to connect up the water as soon as we have the pump and lines from the well to the trailer. In the one we're in now, we still have to get a hot water tank, replace all water lines, replace the kitchen sink and all of the cabinets, floors need repaired, etc. etc. etc.

So, this one is we're scrapping out after the new "used" one is set up. :D

Like I said, we're super excited!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How cool is that? A new place to live all fixed up and ready to go and you don't even need to rent a truck! For a minute there I thought you were going to say Alaska. :th

congrats on the new place!!

sorry about your gosling.

gina