Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
You could use the old trailer for a big coop. :p
Actually, parts of the old trailer will be used for the coop. We had added on to the main coop last fall, and E says there should be plenty of lumber out of these walls to build out the old half to match the new half.

We are also planning to use some of the lumber from this trailer to build and 8x8 room onto the back of the new one for the wood burner. We've decided that we do not want to put this dust creating metal monster in the new one at all. So, it will get its own room and we'll install some kind of blower/fan to blow the heat into the rest of the house.

That part isn't all worked out yet, but we'll figure it out before winter.

We also have future idea of still adding on a big family room to the new one - but instead of removing an entire wall like we planned to do to this one, we'll put in a connecting archway or double french doors like we had in our first home we had together. We also think we'll add a bedroom or two off the added on family room.

Of course, that's very very off in the future, as it takes both time and money to do....but right now we're so excited that we're just having fun planning and talking about things we'd like to do once it's here.

We're selling the two steers to pay for the moving of it. We figured that will be 2 less mouths to feed over winter, and it's for a good cause. :lol:

Did I tell ya'll we're super excited????

:celebrate :ya :bun :weee

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
BTW- the way you snuck in the moving announcement made me forget something. Please post pics of the babies. I love peacocks and peahens.
We will be curious about the new place too- of course. :pop

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
heeheehee yea I'm a stinker :cool:

Absolutely I'll post pics! I'll take some later today to post. I had a button quail hatch yesterday - only 1 so far out of 6 eggs - and a rouen duckling. I'll get pics of them, too.

This morning I have some Bantam eggs to package up and ship out. Then I plan to spend most of my morning working on the new pen in my coop addition. I was going to use it for a Bantam breed coop, but it's fast becoming a brooder because my indoor brooder is a bit over run.

I only have to attach the wire and add a door today - so that shouldn't take long at all.

My mom's coming over this evening, too, for a short visit.

Last night my FIL came down and asked if we'd take him to see the new place we're getting. We called over to see if it was OK with the current owners, and they said yes. So we loaded up and went over and my FIL just loved it. He said it is gorgeous and thinks we would have been foolish NOT to get it. He then kind of joked (but was kind of serious, too I think) that if we don't get it, he's going to. (yea right!)

He wasn't too thrilled that we made him take his shoes off to walk through :lol: We're instating a "NO SHOES ON THE CARPET" rule, and have started following that even though it's not here yet.

There's a beautiful front porch that's covered attached to the front - and we get that, too. We figure we'll hang a "No Shoes" sign that says "Please remove your shoes before entering" by the front door, and shoes can wait for their owners on the porch :lol:

The kitchen/dining area has linoleum floors that go down the hallway and into the laundry room. Floors that I can mop!!!!! I haven't had mopable floors in a loooong time!!! Makes it far easier to clean when a kid has a spill!

August seems like forever away right now, but we have so much to do to get ready, the E assures me it's going to fly by. :cool:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow!!! and yep the time will fly fly fly right by!

but i hope its one with a nautical option... golly did we get the rain last nite! we really do need an ark!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh QA, the place sounds just beautifull!!! CONGRATS! I know in a few weeks, we will be reading your posts saying... " the new home comes in a week, and im not ready! " LOL Time sure flies.
OFG...Ohhh, the rain!! ENOUGH ALREADY! LOL Looks like we will be getting rain untill Wednesday...then a few days without. :fl

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Thanks, Tallman! how have you and your wife been? how's things been out your way? Hardly behaving himself? :D

Just and ofg, yep, time will fly. There really isn't much work to do here, since it's going in a different spot than the current trailer. Most of the work here on our place will begin after the new home is brought in.

For now, most of the work we need to do is getting the new one ready to move. We're doing all the tear down and set up ourselves, as that saves a good bit of money. It's cheaper on us if the moving company can just back in and hook up to it, and then drop it here and leave.