Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK, coming in Nature's Hatchery....... all Bantams!

5 Gold Laced Cochins
5 Lavender Cochins
5 Mottled Cochins
5 Black Sumatras

and I can't remember if I have Black Cochins on that order or not....

BeccaOh has some chicks coming on that order, too.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
So I spent most of today working on a brooder/breed pen inside my coop addition - and finally got it done! :ya

Here's a few pics from the project. :)

We framed it all in with 2x4's and I used a 1x1 for the brace above the door. E showed me how to use his fancy saw that cuts different angles so I could make the door. The ends of each piece of the door are cut at a 45 degree angle.

14550_picture_021.jpg

I took this pic of the back of the door to show how I used corner braces to hold it together.

14550_picture_020.jpg

Then I stapled some hardware cloth that has super tiny square holes to the back of the door. I measured the wire to fit just in between the corner braces, not all the way to the edges of the door.

14550_picture_017.jpg

Front view of door after attaching wire.

14550_picture_018.jpg

Before I had put up the 2x4 framing, I had laid linoleum down on the floor of the brooder. This is so when I clean out, I can wipe up the floor with a wet rag, sponge, etc.

14550_picture_019.jpg

And here's a pic after I had all the wire on, had added pine shavings, feeder and water, and heat lamp. It's now housing my 2 peafowl, some chicks, and keets.

14550_picture_016.jpg

And someone had asked for a picture of our garden, so here's a pic of half our garden....This is peppers, summer squash, zucchini, cucumbers are in there somewhere, and sunflowers.

14550_picture_014.jpg

The other half of the garden that I didn't get a pic of yet has onions, potatoes, and peas.

And, here's a new pic of the Duke Kits. :D

14550_picture_015.jpg

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The brooder is beautiful!!! :bow

The garden looks awesome!!! :clap

Ohhhh and those kits are so cute. I see Rosco, boss Hog and Uncle Jesse all lined up in a row. :thumbsup

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
This from a girl who was afraid of power tools? !!!

:ep

Take a BOW! You deserve it. :clap
:gig I know right?!

I've seriously got this new love - er - addiction, maybe???

The smell of the wood when you cut it!! and those corner braces - I mean wow that just opened up a whole new world of possibilities for me!!! I realized as we were making that door that - hello! I could use this saw with the fancy angle cuts to cut weathered barn wood and make picture frames! OR I could cut out and frame in my own coop windows instead of trying to buy house windows!!!

A couple weeks ago, I used a jigsaw to cut out the pop door to a chicken run - I was thrilled!! and E bragged to our Pastor that I used the jigsaw and was tickled pink with myself. :lol:

I used to be afraid I'd mess up and cut off my fingers, or my hand, etc.

Now I'm afraid I'll run out of lumber!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

eta: I also told E today that I want to start purchasing and stock piling nails, screws, hinges, hooks and eyes, door latches, etc. etc. etc....you know, all those little important hardware items we normally don't think about having on hand...and more drill bits, hardware cloth (rabbit wire), fence staples....the list goes on!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
TanksHill said:
Ohhhh and those kits are so cute. I see Rosco, boss Hog and Uncle Jesse all lined up in a row. :thumbsup
:gig and maybe a Luke, Enus (sp?), and Flash (Roscoe's dog)?