Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I know you're right, Lori, hence the post here, in my journal, instead of on BYC.

I don't even want to RUIN her, I just want her more educated? I guess.

Thanks, though! I'd rather get it out in here than over there and be in trouble. Or cause an online fight with her.

It's really hard to maintain one's calm when you're so passionate about something.

I'm the same with Alpacas - I know someone who has an ill Alpaca, and thinks they're going to get a female to mate him to....aaaaarrrrrrgggghhhhh!!! I won't go there - ya'll don't want to hear another rant, but believe me when I say I get HOT! Becca really tries to avoid bringing this person's alpaca up around me :gig First time she brought it up she said she was sorry she mentioned it :lol: Poor Becca!!

Love ya, Becca!! :hugs

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We had a nice day here. Lazed around together this morning after having a big breakfast of sausage and eggs with green peppers and onions.

Spent a portion of the afternoon outside. Had to go get water for the cows at one point.

Made some decisions on a few cut backs. Like the rex bunnies are going to Auction tomorrow. So are 3 mallard ducklings. And I had thought I had decided to sell off my entire flock of Welsummers, but now that's back up in the air..........

I went through 100# of feed this week :ep I can't have that! We think some of the chickens and the puppies are sneaking in and eating feed when I'm not looking, because I've NEVER gone through 100#'s in 1 week! Never!!

Then Becca and her mom came over for a little bit. Becca and I were trading eggs, because she had someone who wanted some Wyandotte and Welsummer eggs and I wanted some of her Blue Ameracauna eggs.

Have I mentioned that I'm so over incubating eggs????? Becca ended up taking the Ameracauna eggs back home with her and will incubate for me, and so I'll take whatever hatches home to brood.

I had 5 Blue Orps hatch out today - NO splash at all! Looks like 4 blues and maybe 1 black - but not sure because they weren't all dried off yet. I also hatched my first blue frizzle today - but looks like it may be a splash? Not sure until it dries. I also had my last muscovy duck hatch today. Last in the incubator, that is. Dash Jr. is still setting on a nest of about 13 eggs.

And that's about it.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We went to auction today. I took 4 New Hampshire Red pullets and 3 ducklings.

We also managed to find homes for 4 of Zoe's 7 puppies today. :ya

Becca put up a CL ad for me, advertising my trio of Buff Brahmas for sale. I had them sold for more than I asked her to list them for within an hour of the ad going up :th

Then, just a few minutes ago, got a call from someone wanting to buy a few guinea keets!! They are calling back tonight with their decision (after they are done cutting hay).

AND I have another lady calling tonight to arrange to come and buy ALL of my Buff Orp pullets and possibly all 4 of my Welsummer pullets!! (I had $5 each on the Orps and $7 each on my Wellies).

The guy who came to buy the brahmas is on the local fair board! AND he bought them for his kids to show!! :ep :th He said he might be back to purchase one of my extra Mille Fleur roos, too!

He kept saying, "I've drove past your house 100 times and never knew you had all this here". I may have just made a GOOD local connection! :weee :celebrate and it's all thanks to Becca!!!! :D

The Rex Bunnies need to go, too. I've decided to focus on my lops - that I love!! The Baby Dukes started opening their eyes yesterday!! :love

It's been a good day here. Hope ya'll have had a good day, too!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I went to the grocery and had to go buy a new bra. My monster dog ate mine!!! :he Yeah, yeah, I know TMI!!!

Glad to hear you had a great day on the farm. That man who bought the chicks for his kids to show. That is a great connection. I am sure you will have many references from him.

Keep up the awesome work. Hows the well coming? Oh that's right you waiting on the new place. Hows that coming along?

gina

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
It's coming along slowly....lol They estimated the cost of moving the new place at $600-$900, so we're working our tails off to get as much of it together as we can before we have it moved.

I'm selling poultry, hatching eggs, rabbits and putting 1/2 towards the new home expense while keeping the other 1/2 for feed expense.

Plus we're hoping to sell the two steers in August to make up the bulk of the $ needed for the moving costs.

Oh and we've been sorting through things - because we're not going to take all of our junk from this house into the new used one - so we're packing up stuff that we can re-sell at the flea market and going to go set up a couple of days. What we don't think can be sold or re-purposed is being junked.

I have some sewing supplies, crochet stuff, plastic canvas, and a few other crafty odds and ends that I'll probably be parting with. I'm not into crochet or knitting - just cross stitch. And I have TONS of quilt squares and odd 'n end fabrics that need to go somewhere..some of it is fleece pieces I had bought up when I was making and selling ferret bedding ....hmmm maybe I should get back to sewing???

I also used to make crate quilts for dogs and cats and sold them online. I just haven't had time to sew that much lately. I'm barely making time for the cross stitching!!!!!!!!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
...I have some sewing supplies, crochet stuff, plastic canvas, and a few other crafty odds and ends that I'll probably be parting with. I'm not into crochet or knitting - just cross stitch. And I have TONS of quilt squares and odd 'n end fabrics that need to go somewhere..some of it is fleece pieces I had bought up when I was making and selling ferret bedding ....hmmm maybe I should get back to sewing???

I also used to make crate quilts for dogs and cats and sold them online. I just haven't had time to sew that much lately. I'm barely making time for the cross stitching!!!!!!!!
I'm not surprised that you aren't having much time for cross stitching, now that warmer weather is here - too much outdoors stuff to do - on top of the moving, well, poultry, etc. :D

As far as the sewing/craft stuff you aren't keeping - you might want to check with the churches in your area. Around here, many of the women's groups are searching for donations of materials, yarns, knitting needles, crochet hooks, etc for the items they make and donate to the community. So your extra quilt squares (if you don't go back to making cage quilts) could perhaps help provide a quilt for a homeless shelter in your county. Just a thought.

BTW - are you still on for the July 4 SS gathering at your place??

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
keljonma said:
BTW - are you still on for the July 4 SS gathering at your place??
We are having a July 4th cookout, but that's not the SS gathering, that's our annual cookout for our family and friends. You're more than welcome to come! It's Sunday the 4th at 3 pm.

The SS cookout is July 23-24 at the Harrison State Forest. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Yesterday wasn't anything real important going on.

It was a scorcher to be sure, so E spent time in his mini-barn and built a nest box for Becca.

We also went to the local Amish man we know and talked with him for a bit. May have worked out a partial barter with him to get a better barn built out of rough sawed lumber. His dad has a portable saw mill, and he said something about bringing that here and taking the lumber for our barn out of our own trees! How cool would that be? We told him we only need something big enough to house 4 average sized cows, and he said something that size would only take them 2-3 days to get done.

We asked how much his price to help build it would be (because we plan to be out there working on it, too) and he said once we decide about the job, we can work out a flat price per day instead of an hourly wage.

Then we took the nest box to Becca. I think she was pleasantly surprised, as she had forgot E was supposed to be making her one. LOL

Dash Jr.'s working on becoming a Mama. Her ducklings started pipping yesterday, so I'm hoping we have some babies today or tomorrow. It seems to me that 'scovy babies take longer than regular ducks from pip to hatch. It could be my imagination, I guess, but it sure seems to take them 2 days to figure out how to get out of those eggs! :lol:

But, I got my wish and I'm currently over run with 'scovy ducklings!!! and loving it!! I am selling all but 4 ducklings from the first hatch, I'm keeping the 4 red and white ones. I'm waiting to see what colors Dash. Jr has before I decide on her babies. I have 3 in my brooder right now, too, that were left over eggs from Miss Priss' hatch. I had candled, saw movement, and stuck them in the 'bator. The last one hatched 2 days ago. :D

Making my decisions for what's going to Mt. Hope. The baby Duke's will all go and be sold, too. They finally opened their eyes. I was so hoping that my little white one would have blue eyes like daddy has, and if she had, I would have kept her. No blue eyes. They're red. :(

Today we're working on the second brooder outside and taking fence posts out of the woods. We need about 8 more to finish the pasture we're working on, and then we'll turn the cows out on it and block off the back pasture. Small start to our rotational grazing! :D