Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
QA If you have fabric (quilt squares, etc)to rehome, the ladies at the
Algonquin Mill take donations of fabric for quilts and woven rag rugs. The money they make from selling these at the annual Algonquin Mill Fall Festival help support the Carroll County Historical Society and the upkeep of the Mill grounds. There are people at the Mill every Thursday usually at the Farm House or the School House. You can also leave things at the School House during the week. There is an on-site manager there during the week. The Mill is located 5 miles south of Carrollton on route 332. thanks:thumbsup

Quail_Antwerp said:
It's coming along slowly....lol They estimated the cost of moving the new place at $600-$900, so we're working our tails off to get as much of it together as we can before we have it moved.

I'm selling poultry, hatching eggs, rabbits and putting 1/2 towards the new home expense while keeping the other 1/2 for feed expense.

Plus we're hoping to sell the two steers in August to make up the bulk of the $ needed for the moving costs.

Oh and we've been sorting through things - because we're not going to take all of our junk from this house into the new used one - so we're packing up stuff that we can re-sell at the flea market and going to go set up a couple of days. What we don't think can be sold or re-purposed is being junked.

I have some sewing supplies, crochet stuff, plastic canvas, and a few other crafty odds and ends that I'll probably be parting with. I'm not into crochet or knitting - just cross stitch. And I have TONS of quilt squares and odd 'n end fabrics that need to go somewhere..some of it is fleece pieces I had bought up when I was making and selling ferret bedding ....hmmm maybe I should get back to sewing???

I also used to make crate quilts for dogs and cats and sold them online. I just haven't had time to sew that much lately. I'm barely making time for the cross stitching!!!!!!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We're sick!! :hit

Of course all of the kids are fine, but E and I are both feeling "blah" with stuffy noses, sinuses draining down our throats, too hot one minute, cold the next, and low grade fever.

And to make matters worse, mother nature is here this week. :barnie

Trudged out side to do my morning chores - and omg I have too many pens and feeding stations.

Something has to give.

Moved birds around again this morning. Welsummers and Langshans aren't laying well enough (1 egg each day per pen) to rationalize them each having a separate pen, so they're now all together. Welsummer flock is up for sale.

BBS Orps are free ranging for now. Will figure a new pen for them later.

Everything that's on the "for sale" list is now in the hoop house.

BLRW have been moved to the Welsummer's former pen.

I'm seriously thinking of only keeping (out of my chickens) the Langshans, Blue Orps, a trio of BLRW, my trio of Columbians, Sumatras, and maybe the Spitz. But, even that list I've been looking at and trying to decide where I can make cuts.

I've already downsized my bantams to just a pair of Quail d'Anvers, Mille Fleurs, and a small flock of Cochin bantams - but multiple colors.

I'm contemplating selling my Silver Appleyard ducklings. The pair of Rouens are already up for grabs. We've already sold off some of the younger mallards.

I haven't decided what to do with my young LF Cochins yet. They might go, too.

It's just all been too much. Too many feeders, too many different pens, and all the money I could save with the feed I won't be burning through if I downsize.

Really, the following are the only ones who are guaranteed a permanent residence here:
Sebastopols
Bourbon Reds
Muscovy Ducks
Mallards
Welsh Harlequins
Call Ducks
Sumatras
BBS Orps
Columbians
BLRW
Langshans

I think I could easily let everything else go. Except the Bantams - but even those may have some cut backs within their flocks, and only keep the best of the best.

Started going through stuff in the bedroom yesterday. Found all sorts of fabric and quilt squares that I forgot I had. Told E I think I should get rid of it all, he thinks I should try to make quilts for the kids out of some of it for their new bedrooms in the new house-after we're all settled in. I'm still thinking on it. Just not sure if I'd have time to do it.

Just so much going on, and so many decisions... :hu

Dash Jr. has 5 babies trying to zip out there right now. And boy she sure can bite hard!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Sounds like the same stuff I had. Really tried lots of stuff but the Robitussin worked by far the best.

Feel better and TRY not to work too hard today.

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
I pretty much just took it easy today. Did the normal feeding and watering, killed a snake that came out of a hay pile, and made even more decisions regarding chickens, etc.

My two little goats may be going to live with my mom. Being that they are pygmies, they walk right through the fence, so they can't be out with the cows.

That, and when they were out there, Boss tried to kill Sassy.

I don't want to give up my goats - I love them. E says if I let mom take them, then maybe in the spring we can start looking for a dairy goat that's in milk.

Did I mention that E hates my goats? :(

So, it's decisions. I'm thinking he's thinking it's just too much right now with trying to get the new home brought in and set up and then the well hooked up.

I've also been putting a lot more thought into my chickens.

I love my Blue Orps...and I sold all the eggs I offered from them, save for the last set. And that's fine, the last set I'll hatch to increase my flock size.

It was the same with my Columbians - actually have two orders to fill on those yet.

The Blue Laced Red Wyandottes have been highly asked after, too, but my flock hasn't laid as well as it should have.

So I'm thinking about selling everything except for those that have either produced well or that has actually brought in some sales. But, it's not an easy decision. I keep finding reasons to keep this one or that one.

:barnie

I'd really like to get Blue Laced Red Wyandottes from Foley's Waterfowl. Their birds are outstanding. I'm thinking of selling off my current flock of sub-par BLRW and putting the $ from selling them towards better stock from Foley's Waterfowl.

The Welsummers are definitely leaving. I made that decision - finally - and am comfortable with it.

I feel like my keep list is still fairly long.

In Bantams, I only have the pair of Quail d'Anvers, Mille Fleurs, and Cochins (in several colors). I'm contemplating letting the Mille Fleurs go. I just haven't fully decided on that yet.

The only waterfowl on the chopping block right now is the pair of Rouen ducks. I'm undecided if I should keep the Silver Appleyards and see how they do next year, or just let them go. I don't know yet if I have boys or girls, either.

It's too many decisions. And my head's so foggy right now that it's hard to make good decisions. :he

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Oh and I almost forgot - Dash had 4 babies hatched by the time we called it a night - with 6 more eggs pipped! :fl here's hoping for 11 baby 'scovies by morning!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
My sick has moved to my chest. Woke up congested and hacking up phlegm this morning.

I want to go back to bed.