Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Bountiful Baskets is not in California :( And, you're right... even I won't be envying your weather!!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As you all know, my flock has Marek's. Not many of them left. I am down to 14 females and a young roo-ling. Some of the adults simply never laid. I had begun to think they never would. But one new hen has started laying. So it gives me hope.

2468_lagemelaeggs.jpg

Of all my marans, I ended up with three hens. One was laying and stopped...I hatched the others from her eggs. These two are now old enough to lay, in fact have gone well beyond the time they should have. But one has started laying. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the other starts laying, and mama resumes laying some day.

2468_skinnier.jpg

On the health front, I have lost ten hard won pounds. Ten pounds of eating only the healthiest of foods and doing six miles a day. Hopefully hubby's blood sugars will level out with all the healthy eating and exercise. Me, I am just being supportive of him but looks like I am benefitting also. I don't see many differences but I think my face is getting skinnier

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Getting some work done on my car. I don't have any money. I guess that means I am using my credit card. I try really hard not to buy things I don't have money for. But I guess that is why I have a credit card... For emergencies.
On a good note, the local guy who does our car work is really good to us. I got to take him a dozen lovely eggs. It felt really nice to be able to give something we had produced ourselves (or perhaps I am taking too much credit since the hens actually produced them) but you know what I mean. So nice that we actually have enough eggs for our needs and then some extra to share. Felt good to give.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got my bountiful basket and have so many veggies it is a race to try to use everything up. This time we added on a box of tomatoes. Do you know what that means? It means I had to learn how to can tomatoes...or rather salsa since I didn't think I would want a lot of plain canned tomatoes.
So can salsa we did. Hubby did all the work while I mostly stood around and coughed my lungs out with all that capsaicin in the air.
The salsa however, was a success.
We did make a huge batch of fresh salsa and took jars around to all of our friends, than headed back home and made the salsa we were canning up. I will try to post pix later. The chiles were gorgeous.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Awesome! I am jealous! Congrats, can't wait to see the pretty jars!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, got the pix now.

2468_dscn8648.jpg

Chiles y ajo

2468_dscn8647.jpg

jitomates

2468_dscn8652.jpg

into the pot

2468_dscn8654.jpg

finished project

We ended up making two batches. The batch of fresh was UH-mazing. Canning salsa, well we will see how it turns out. I am not so fond of the vinegar taste but it was necessary to preservation. I have a daughter with a serious "salsa tooth" so I mostly wanted to make her some salsa. I thought it might be a nice and unconventional Valentine's Day gift.

2468_dscn8650.jpg

Beans, cheese & salsa in a whole wheat tortilla. The boys tear it up.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It looks fantastic! I started using my pressure canner for salsa because I hate the vinegar overload needed to safely water bath. Salsa never lasts long around here either ;)