Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I watched Craigslist for months and finally scored and All American pressure canner for 30.00!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been hovering on craigslist for a year in hopes but no such luck yet. I will be right here hovering.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow...we tend to like our salsa thicker with more tomato paste as a base. I haven't been able to get homemade salsa "right" yet. It seems too watery for our tastes. I don't know if I need to cook it down more or add more tomato puree. :hu or do something to thicken it up.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I love salsa and Rathbone, yours looks like it brings the heat! :drool

DH does not like it, he and DS#2 prefer more of a sauce (ala Taco Bell fire sauce). I took my very spicy salsa recipe (I use habanero's and jalapeno's...Mmmm) and just ran it through the blender before canning it up. I use a mix of Amish paste and either mortgage lifter or beefsteak-type tomato mixture, which gives me the perfect consistency I'm looking for. My minimum for the year is 24 pints, although they average a pint per week, so 48 is better :lol:

The All American is on my wish list. In this part of the country, everybody cans, and they hang on to their canners, so I have had zero luck in my search so far.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Habaneros? I fold. Too hot for me.
Here, no one cans so if someone did find a pressure cooker I think they wouldn't know what it is and probably junk it rather than sell it. Heck, what am I saying? I don't even know what it is for sure I am looking for. I wouldn't know a pressure cooker from a pressure canner.
At some point, some cash will cross my sweaty palm and I WILL buy a pressure canner. Until then, I am sticking to jams and tomatoes.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sooo... I got another mystery box on my front porch - bell peppers (14), onions (two bags) and squash (acorns, spaghetti, and butternut?). People here get commodoties but often don't eat up all the fresh veg. The big question is how to preserve it. I don't want anything to go to waste.
We also got a case of kiwis. Yep, go figure. They didn't eat kiwis. But I do....I love them. However, way too many to eat up. I am thinking kiwi jam. So this Saturday I am making jam. *note to self - buy more jars for cannning.

so any ideas for the onion, bell peppers and the squash?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
rathbone said:
so any ideas for the onion, bell peppers and the squash?
You could mail me a mystery box!! :lol: Wow! How nice is that? Soup!! That's what I would do with the squash! And those kiwis wouldn't last long in this house! We both love them!!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have eaten this amazing "harvest soup" that uses butternut squash. However when I tried to replicate it, it just wasn't all that. Guess I will try to find some new squash soup recipes.
Cheerio - pm me your addy. No promises but if the jam turns out well, I will mail try to mail you a jar.