Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Slumgulleon! My mother makes this when the garden is on hot and heavy and we have canned it into jars before....makes for delicious winter time eating. My favorite garden mix concotion! :drool

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have had pie made w/ butternut squash, that tastes just like pumpkin. I do love butternut though- just cooked up and treated like potatoes (butter, sour cream, etc) or blended and turned into a smooth soup. Acorn, we cut in half, fill with sausage, or cinnamon & brown sugar, top with pats of butter, and bake. All three squash keep very well - I will still have a few left come Spring, just as firm as the day they were picked. Not sure how they'd hold up in NM though.

I know you can can peppers (I never have), but I always dry any extra's I have. Same w/ onions. Just works better for my purposes. :hu

As for kiwi's - back when I was a single parent and lucky to have two quarters to buy us a treat, DS#1 would always ask for a kiwi. We'd slice it as thin as possible, so we each got 'more' to enjoy :lol:

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Slumgullion huh? You realize I read it the three times thinking it was an idiomatic expression of excitement...finally realizing you were telling me to MAKE SLUMGULLION. I hate it when I am slow witted. So, now off to google SLUMGULLION and hopefully serve up a succulent pot of it. Thanks Bee

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I have a roasted butternut squash soup recipe with roasted bell pepper, roasted garlic, and roasted onion in it. It is really good. I think I found it on-line so it is probably out there somewhere (it would take me some time to find it or else I would post it). Good luck!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Slumgullion....we always just got out a huge iron skillet and chopped up tomatoes(skins on), squash(yellow and zucchini), green peppers, banana peppers, onions(green or otherwise), jalapeno peppers or hot bananas, corn, garlic and salted/seasoned to taste....let simmer until all veggies are tender and thicken the mix with corn meal. You can eat it by itself, poured over rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, etc.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The soup is a definite. With endless amounts of squash, hopefully I don't have to worry so much if I ruin it. I could still feed it to the chickens. Gives me more room to experiment.
And pie - pie is a definite. Armando has it on his "list of deliciousness" so I will definitely make him a squash pie. We don't have treats very often so he will be delighted.
And yes, kiwis are not something I can afford to buy. My sons get fruit every day but it is usually apple and banana, oranges when we get them off the tree and raisins in oatmeal. But no kiwis. So the fresh kiwis are a treat. Amarante ate four of them as his after dinner dessert last night.
There is something beautiful about watching small children eat. If they like the food, they dive in. No embarrassment about stuffing your mouth, no worries if the juice runs down your chin. If you want to gorge yourself and then lift your shirt to pat your belly in admiration - well go right ahead. I loved watching him appreciate his kiwis.
We have curently used up all the jam I canned this summer. I gave it away as Christmas presents and didn't have enough left over for our own use. (I greatly underestimated the amount of jelly my kids go through). So I am excited that the kiwi jam will get the boys through perhaps another month of PB&J snandwiches. After that, I dunno...maybe I will get another mystery box.
It is happening with more frequency now. I guess the word is out that our family will happily eat up anything and that if you have something you are going to throw out, well just leave it on the porch and walk away feeling good about helping someone else out. I am delighted to have the hand up. (Or as I like to think, I am good about sharing and others want to share back).

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Bee - it sounds perfect! And adaptable to what I have on hand. I believe we will be having that TONIGHT!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I make Shepherd's Pie I add a layer of Spaghetti squash between the meat/veg layer and the mashed potato layer--it's delish. Got the idea from a former co-worker.

Spaghetti squash can also be cut in half, seeds scooped out, placed cut side down in pan with inch of water, baked about 20 min to half an hour (till soft), "spaghetti" insides scooped out and served with butter and parmesan or with pasta sauce just like traditional spaghetti.

Regular orange squash works great for "pumpkin" pie as noted above, it's also a nice thickener in tomato pasta sauce and chunks are yummy in stews and soups.

Roasted butternut squash with a bit of brown sugar/lemon juice glaze is my fave way to eat squash with dinner as a veg.

Since you are getting into canning, bell peppers and onions are great in relishes and pickles, check out these recipes to see if any tickle your fancy:

http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe_page/51.php?pid=484
http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe_page/51.php?pid=486
http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe_page/51.php?pid=495
http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe_page/51.php?pid=192

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Thanks Kelly! But, I was just joking around... Make that jelly for your kids! We used to have my sister's kids come during the summer for a few weeks and watching my littlest niece (4 at the time) eat was a riot! And you're right, when they really like something, all manners go right out the window!