Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Cheerio - I really do believe in sharing, or what goes around comes around, or paying it forward or whatever people call it. I honestly believe that I will never go hungry or without, simply because I have always shared what I have, and others will do the same for me if they see me in need. So I would LOVE to send you some jam. The "no promises" part was me knowing I will be waiting till I have some money to pay postage ;)

And you Moolie - thank you. I love that you are so knowledgable about food preservation. I especially liked the idea of chunks in stews and as a thickener in tomato sauces. I am going to try to hide some in spaghetti sauce - I have done that a lot with zuccinni and my boys never seem to notice. It is a good way to slip in another veg, and they really don't like squash so I am hoping that will work well. Now off to check out the links you posted.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My weekend was good. Good translates as productive. I was productive and that always makes me feel good.
We canned. May I stop right here and say how very much I love and appreciate my husband? 'cause guess who does most of the work? Yep, he does. He preps the jars and helps clean up after.
We canned all the tomatoes. I ended up making spaghetti sauce. The ball blue book called it seasoned tomato sauce or some such thing. But it was basically a spaghetti sauce. And it was delish! I saved out enough that we had that for dinner last night on some whole wheat pasta. I put a lot of fresh ground fennel in it. Since it was a meatless sauce, the fennel really added some zing to it.
the kiwis? Oddly enough, I think we are gonna end up eating all those kiwis. They seem to be ripening just so many a day, and we eat them right up, so I am thinking there will be no kiwi jam. Pity really. I was very much looking forward to seeing what it would taste like and look like.
We went to a baby shower this weekend. We cooked up three pots of rice (happily that was the end of the white rice), I made two big pots of spaghetti salad (Asian dressing, lots of tomato and bell peppers - I was trying to use those up remember) and last but not least, FIVE DOZEN deviled eggs. Tiffany was kind enough to donate the eggs and her little silkie eggs were just perfect - they fit in your mouth without making you look greedy for popping the entire defiled egg into your mouth.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
rathbone said:
My weekend was good. Good translates as productive. I was productive and that always makes me feel good.
We canned. May I stop right here and say how very much I love and appreciate my husband? 'cause guess who does most of the work? Yep, he does. He preps the jars and helps clean up after.
We canned all the tomatoes. I ended up making spaghetti sauce. The ball blue book called it seasoned tomato sauce or some such thing. But it was basically a spaghetti sauce. And it was delish! I saved out enough that we had that for dinner last night on some whole wheat pasta. I put a lot of fresh ground fennel in it. Since it was a meatless sauce, the fennel really added some zing to it.
the kiwis? Oddly enough, I think we are gonna end up eating all those kiwis. They seem to be ripening just so many a day, and we eat them right up, so I am thinking there will be no kiwi jam. Pity really. I was very much looking forward to seeing what it would taste like and look like.
We went to a baby shower this weekend. We cooked up three pots of rice (happily that was the end of the white rice), I made two big pots of spaghetti salad (Asian dressing, lots of tomato and bell peppers - I was trying to use those up remember) and last but not least, FIVE DOZEN deviled eggs. Tiffany was kind enough to donate the eggs and her little silkie eggs were just perfect - they fit in your mouth without making you look greedy for popping the entire defiled egg into your mouth.
Shame on you for defiling eggs! :gig

Sounds like you had a lovely weekend Kelly! I love deviled eggs!! :drool

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Defiled eggs huh? Teach me not to proofreader. I'm using my iPad and it "autocorrects" for me all the time. I have done some nasty things in my lifetime but defiling eggs is not on the list. Oh. My.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:drool I love deviled eggs (the un-defiled type ;)) and always make my way past the buffet table a few times to scarf a few when they are about. One of the very best potluck items to bring!

Glad you got lots of sauce canned up, and that everyone is enjoying the kiwis. And I'm sure something else will come along soon that is just right for jammin'!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, I was going to keep it a secret because, oh I don't know, maybe if I say it out loud I will tempt the gods to curse me? But I just can't keep it under my hat.
I got hatching eggs. Really gorgeous hatching eggs. BCM hatching eggs. I used to buy hatching eggs online and have them shipped here, but well, those are not only not in the budget, it is a crap shoot as to whether the eggs will survive the mail carriers. So anyways, these eggs are from VEGAS BABY. Which means they stand a good chance of hatching. Here is the deal though. The lovely lady who sold them to me told me her rooster is old and that when she checked the eggs, fertility was very low. So out of a dozen eggs, I will be very lucky if half are fertile, and then of the fertile six, perhaps three will make it to successful hatch, and of those three two are I am sure bound to be roosters. So....crossing my fingers and hoping for one, just one lovely young hen.
The eggs are all kinds of gorgeous. Where my Marans eggs are a solid dark taupe brown with a gloss to them, hers are a dark, ruddy, matte finish egg WITH SPECKLES. I love speckled eggs.
And I mentioned how nice the lady was? When I asked about the price on the eggs, she said to just wait and see how many hatched, and then I could pay her three dollars each for each chick that made it. Three dollars is like, like, like stealing.
See... Every time life kicks me, she turns around and kisses me too.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'm curious, how do you defile an egg?

ETA: But then again, maybe I DON'T want to know!

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I'm curious, how do you defile an egg?

ETA: But then again, maybe I DON'T want to know!
If any one can answer that question, I hope they refrain from doing so... :lol:

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not exactly sure myself but I believe it involves a lot of mayonnaise?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
rathbone said:
The eggs are all kinds of gorgeous. Where my Marans eggs are a solid dark taupe brown with a gloss to them, hers are a dark, ruddy, matte finish egg WITH SPECKLES. I love speckled eggs.
And I mentioned how nice the lady was? When I asked about the price on the eggs, she said to just wait and see how many hatched, and then I could pay her three dollars each for each chick that made it. Three dollars is like, like, like stealing.
See... Every time life kicks me, she turns around and kisses me too.
Wow! Score!! Do your Marans do well in the heat? I would love to have Marans and I really want some Wellsumers and/or Barnevelders, but I don't know if the feed store will have any. I can't afford to buy mail order and even if I could I might have difficulty getting to the PO to pick them up.