Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My Marans do VERY well in the heat. And I was delighted to see that they laid the petite pullet egg for only the first week, thereafter laying a lovely large egg. My orps took like six months to bump up to the big eggs.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh hey, be sure to ask your feed store if they can add on whatever chicks you wanted to their already existing order. Mine will do that at no extra charge.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
rathbone said:
Oh hey, be sure to ask your feed store if they can add on whatever chicks you wanted to their already existing order. Mine will do that at no extra charge.
I thought about that... I don't even know what they usually order. They may already have what I'm looking for. They are located in Joshua Tree, about 20 miles away. They have a hay barn and a container set up at a local boarding facility where folks here can pick up feed on the "honor system". Take what you need and drop the cash in the lock box on the wall. It's so convenient, I have never stepped foot in the actual store! If they won't do it, there is another feed store in Yucca Valley that might. I think they probably order more than the closer store since they are actually in a "city" :lol:

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My feed store orders from privett hatchery. Since it is the closest (new Mexico) your feed store probably does also. I don't think you will find welsumers but perhaps the barnevelders? I just looked and I have it backwards. They don't have barnevelders but do sell straight run welsummers. They sell Cornish if you are looking for meat birds- and you could use a small broody to keep hatching out meat birds for you. Shoot I am almost jealous thinking of all your possibilities.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I have to be careful not to go putting the cart before the horse!! I need to get a bigger coop/run built before I go getting a bunch of new birds. When I finish the current expansion, I'll have room for 6 or 8 more pullets. Then, once that is in place, I'll start a brooding pen and a coop for the meaties.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got a new egg! And from an old hen no less. One of my older Marans hens has been on egg hiatus for FAR TOO LONG. She laid an absolutely enormous egg yesterday. When she laid before, she laid quite a dark egg. This isn't dark at all but rather, quite speckled. I do so love a speckled egg. I would post a pic but I can't seem to capture how beautiful that egg is. Sigh. You as my very good and believing friends will have to accept my word that the egg is the eighth wonder of the world. Funny how little things can make me happy.

2468_speckled_egg.jpg

edited to add said poor quality photo of magnificent egg ;)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It looks huge, but I was hoping you'd have a 'normal' one beside for comparison! :lol:

I don't know why, but I like the speckled eggs too. Maybe it's because (in my case) they break up the constant sea of beige :p