Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What a perfectly lovely quote! It fits my morning experience.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well we got the one showgirl chick, and then last night as I was about to go to bed, the second chick was out of the shell. It is a lovely little partridge silkie chick. My son named it banana pudding....said that is exactly what she looked like?
The last chick died in the shell without ever internally pipping. We eggtopsied died this morning. It had gotten all turned around in the shell and had it's head down at the wrong end. Poor little.
However, two healthy little chicks out of what I had deemed to be creepy little eggs is not bad at all.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The weather here is gorgeous. I feel almost guilty since I know not everyone has such balmy days right now. However come summer I will be crying around about the heat whereas most of you will be enjoying glorious weather.
Tiffany and I planted some bulbs indoors today on our lunch hour. Crocus and hyacinth. She bought shallow glass dishes at th dollar store and some black rock. She had some kind of instructions on forcing bulbs which for the most part she seemed to be ignoring. Probably these won't grow properly, but it was fun to do and looks pretty sitting on the corner of my desk.
I go to pick up our bountiful basket tomorrow.can't wait to see what veggies and fruits I get. Hope you all have a great weekend. Lunch hour is over and I have to get back to work. Muah!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The weather is gorgeous here. We got meat chicks on Saturday. They are fuzzy and cute...for now. I really don't like the idea of hybrid animals that are made to eat themselves to death. I would much prefer to raise some dual purpose roosters but, I just don't have that luxury. So meaties it is. We call them them the nephilim.
They eat and they POOP. Hence my excitement over good weather. I dont want those little stinkers in my house.
On another note, I got a care package from my sister. I got a t-shirt from the Eugene Backyard Farmer store. but even better I got a canning pot with a lift out rack. I have been making do with other pots but it has been difficult. My sister knew how hard it has been and sent me a pot with rack that she found at a second hand store. In love that about her. Some people you talk to and they walk away not really knowing who you are. Not her. She really listens (as I drone on and on) and remembers what it is I really need. Her gifts are spot on!

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Pictured here are our two chicks that hatched out of Adriana's "creepy little eggs" Those are silkies. Meaning bantam size. The Nephilim at their side is the same age TO THE DAY. All of the chicks are five days old in this pic.
2468_nephilim_1.jpg

and just in case the Nephilim being in the foreground makes it look larger than it is in real life. Here is another pic
2468_nephilim_2.jpg

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I love it! And they are all soooo cute!! I'm jealous! :/

eta: Is that grass growing around your house? Now I'm really jealous! :lol:

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I may have grass but you have wide open spaces. I am jealous of you!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
You have cute little chickens and another great sister!!! I was just saying to Cheerio about someone listening to us!