Refreshments for canning class

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Next Saturday I am teaching my first canning class. I have 15 ladies coming, and I want to have a bit of a snack for the break while the applesauce is processing (our demonstration). I think I want to serve something from my canned food pantry, but I also want to do a tease of classes to come.

So far, i am thinking of a cheese board, with homemade pizza cheese (panir style) and eight a homemade yogurt cheese or maybe a second panir, but sweet. I was thinking about cranberry orange or date walnut. Haven't tried a sweet one yet, so that is a risk. Has anyone tried a sweet cheese?

Related: Should I make no-knead artisan bread or homemade crackers? If crackers, what flavor?

Beverage: I am thinking lemon ginger tea, but it seems a bit Asian for the cheese. Chocolate mint? Thoughts?

Sweet? I have jams, but how to incorporate them? I can make pastry tartlets with goat cheese, plum jam and chopped walnuts with a drizzle of honey. I don't want to have to buy much, if anything. But I also don't want to be baking before I have a kitchen class.

Could use some ideas !!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
WOW! so you filled all the spots!?!?!? i was wondering what the response was to the class offering... so i guess that fleece thing worked out?
;-)

this sounds heavenly:
I can make pastry tartlets with goat cheese, plum jam and chopped walnuts with a drizzle of honey.
wonder if you can incorporate some kind of meat thing.. for instance, can you do a chicken or turkey salad from meat that you canned??

GREAT work!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
The first thing that came to mind when I saw it was a canning class was salsa!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Oooh, now I am thinking salsa chicken !

I have 15 people, which is going to be crowded !!! If 10 show up I will be thrilled !

Love the ideas...can't wait to hear more !

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My very first thought, non refreshment related, would for you to bring a shining example of everything that you have in inventory right now. Shine up those jars; take the rings off ( I think you do...); print out labels with the product name and your name; and display them as if in a pantry. I can visualize an open door cabinet (mock one up with some wood - a la CD holder style), or milk crates, stacked 4 high; or a wire rack. Along side, arrange a couple of baskets with some fresh fruit, some veggies and a flower plant (still in its 4" pot). Bring a scrap of fabric or a colorful tablecloth or a few colorful napkins for texture and color in and around the basket/jars.

As for refreshments: I would drop the ginger from the tea. Ginger is an acquired taste and perhaps a more neutral flavor would be best. Make sun tea, with fresh lemons. Some ppl don't know how to make sun tea. The dollar store may have some plastic sun tea jugs.

Tiny, bite size pastry tartlets sound wonderful! And yes, go with OFG on the meat spread with salsa incorporated. But make those self serve on home made crackers. Its not LUNCH, for gosh sakes, I don't think. Concentrate on "canning" for your refreshments. Do you "can" your homemade cheese? What else is in your larder that would be perfect for popping open to demonstrate how versatile canned products are? Beans - smashed with some fresh garlic, and some naan....

Food doesn't have to go overboard; the demo of the canning techniques is what the ladies are coming for!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Yes, highlighting the canning is the goal. AND I want to tease for the next in the series of classes, which will include home made bread, crackers, cheese and yogurt !

Great, great ideas! I didn't can much salsa last year, so I am not sure how that would work. The batch I did included white peaches, which got very stringy, so I don't want to highlight that. I did make a batch of elberta peach with mango, but it was blended, not chunky. That actually may work.

My canning pantry is actually in the first bedroom down the hall from the kitchen, so I was thinking of offering the refreshments and a tour of the pantry at the same time.

And I never miss an opportunity to post a picture !

Picture558.jpg

I think cute labels on the shelves would work. I like that.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Holy smokes!! Your pantry is FULL!!! Mine is on the empty side..more empty space than filled. Of course, our planting season is just getting under way. Do you have something that would go with the applesauce that you are canning? My granny used to make us home made bread toast....with home made peanut butter on it, and applesauce on top. DELISH! The applesauce helps cut the thickness of the peanutbutter.
Home made crackers...I would go with wheat but be prepared to have several copies of the recipe on hand. ;)
Congrats on filling your class. :thumbsup Just have fun, I wouldn't offer too much to eat...remember, its a canning class....use the "cooking time" to explain canning safety, proper storage, and supplies for different canning processes. ie: waterbath, or pressure canner. Meats, fruits, veggies. But, most of all...have FUN with it!!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Aw shucks...stop it. (No don't, this humility is fake !)

I have been canning for a year, but I do it a lot.

I guess I am having a hard time shaking the part of me that used to cater. I miss that kind of cooking, but it isn't the way people who want to can their produce would want to cook.

Rethinking.

Glad I started this discussion. It is grounding me.