Refreshments for canning class

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I say keep it simple, Ldychef. Are you including a meal in the price of a class? Most people don't expect to be fed when they come for a class, really. Tea and cookies would be fine. Simple cookies, or a simple bar, like a brownie. Or nothing! Just tea.

A sample of one or two of something you canned might be good, if you can keep it simple. Maybe make some biscuits the day before, and serve them with tea and some fruit preserves you've canned.

In the future, I would recommend having people pay and register in advance, at least a non-refundable deposit. That way it is still worth your while to run the class if very few show up. You are still getting paid. And there is nothing like the word "non-refundable" to get people to keep their word! Call me a cynic, but, well, I've had my own business for a while now. I also teach CE courses for LMT's and you'd be amazed at how many no-shows there are in spite of people paying in full, in advance!

So cool that you are teaching this class! It will be a blast. I can't wait to read about how it went. You have so much to offer, so much to teach. Your students are very fortunate.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, I didn't know you were teaching a class, awesome for you. And of course the pantry is looking great!!!!

:thumbsup

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Free I know that makes more sense...but I am genetically wired to prepare food for people! I get it from my Mom. If I tell her I am doing it, she will run out and get matching everything and offer to set up a beverage table !

So I am maybe now thinking about applesauce muffins...since it starts at 10 AM.

Yes I do this all the time, for everything. In the fall, it would be pear ginger tart or pumpkin cheesecake.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ldychef2k, OMG. I so want to take your class! Such a shame you are Soooo far away! All I have now is my Big Blue Book and a few brave testers ( men ) that are horribly biased.

My canning pantry has turned into every place I can fit a few more jars. My sweet husband got a big laugh out of looking for his favorite movie in the DVD cabinet and had to move pickled eggs to find it.

I have been canning a lot of convenience type foods lately.. heat and eat stuff. The guys really love my raviolis stuffed with cheese and sausage, but they didn't come out so well after canning. Can we say paste?? We are whole wheat only folks around here, so I know that changes things. I am afraid to not pre cook them because of the meat. Suggestions ?

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think if you have to serve something perhaps you should focus on showing what you can do with all of that canned goods. So many of us just eat it straight out of the jar instead of using our canned goods as ingredients to make other foods. If you make something out of something from your pantry it would go over really well. And I also like the idea of highlighting something from a future class. Perhaps together? In some creative, chef-like, beyond my ability, way? ;)

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got so excited I forgot to mention. Was that pears I saw in your pantry? What about bourbon glazed pear tartlets ? They are quick to prepare and serve well at room temp. Then you can serve it with your strawberry lemonade. Lemonade is always so nice to clear the pallet after something so sweet. You could intentionally not make quite enough lemonade so your students could see you popping a jar to make more :)

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I always enjoy pics of your pantry. I still think your did a wonderful job with the layout and building those shelves.

It looks like you have a large selection of fruits. Maybe serve some of them chilled to further highlight canning? And do you make yogurt? You could offer homemade yogurt to go with the fruits.