rty007 winemaking Q

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Hey rtyoo7 would you post some Carp recipes on the recipe thread?

We have lots of carp at our lake south of here, but VERY few people ever eat them. They say "too bony" or "too muddy". I would love to be able to add them to my menu. ;)

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
we'll do ;) and there is a recipe due for "gołąbki" asked earlier.
Do any of you know of any permaculture farm in Europe that take... well i don't know how to call it. Interns maybe? I mean I want to go there, get some shelter over my head, food and possibly some money, for the possibility to work and learn from the masters :)

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have two questions

1 where do you get your bargain books from? I mean the SS/permaculture once any possibility for a online place?
2 would any of be willing to hold onto a book or even a couple for a while and then send them my way, couse from what I can tell it would be cheaper then sending one book at a time to Poland but I will have to do some more research on that one.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think Amazon.com is a good place for books because you can get them used. They have free Super Saver shipping on some orders. Not sure about international orders though. :idunno

good luck,

gina

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I started looking on some books, and I decided for a budget that I could spare for that purpose, 30-40$ every month, totaling 125-150$ every 4 months. including shipment which I figure from someone in the states to my small country would be about 25-35$.

Even though I did read a lot already on the "net" it is nice to have a piece of paper in your hand instead of gazing on the screen. and... you do not need power for the time I'll move and be in a power conserving mode. Besides I am not one of those "know all's" I do listen to advice and try to expand my knowledge. Since I have some time, and possibility I want to plan and learn as much as I can before making the move, I know that 3 years might seem like a lot, but I can't even yet decide: do I move or do stay in Poland. It is a good period of time to sort it out and learn as much as possible.

I am thinking since it will be about 3 years. that makes it about 9-11 rounds of book buying. I will start from general ideas and business plan for hobby farm books and proceed to detail.

lets see

round 1 - general ideas - business plans -
I do have a general idea how i want to run things, but since I will be trying to get as much income from the land, doing any computer programing and web pages as little as possible. That is why I am open to ideas, and maybe one of those books will inspire me.

If any of you can think of a better book on that topic, feel free to pitch in.

35$ - shipping

13$ How to build a sustainable local food business total 48$

17$ A Guide to Developing a Business Plan for Farms and Rural Businesses 65$

13$ Country Wisdom & Know-How 78$

23$ The Organic Farmer's Business Handbook 101$

17$Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal 118$

I left a couple of bucks couse you folks will probably add some ideas.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
knock knock....

:hide: who's there?

ok, on a LITTLE bit more serious note.

I got back and I am now thinking, all that is produced in the garden has one way or another to be used, even things that some take as waste.

Like say corn:
corn grain -> malted to make some whiskey, the malted grain fed to chickens and all the other critters. or.. simply eat em strait up yourself (without malting) :)
corn cobs -> again as feed, but I am sure you can get way more creative then that, like someone on this forum uses em as a wick in a veggie oil lamp
covering leaves -> soak up to make a liquid fertilizer and some paper, instead of paper you can also make a wooden mold to make a great 1 inch cube plant starters, but it needs some research on what can be started in those.
stalks -> that needs to be confirmed by someone, BUT some people claim to make baskets for picking crop out of them. but I just don't see that happening, I would easier believe in using it as firewood.

example made:) on to my real question.

so... I know that it might be different around US, couse you do have all those poisonous snakes stalking to bite you in the a.. ;) but in poland we do not, except on occasion when a moron owner turns his little 3-4 meter long pet loose couse he got bored with it. I have a couple of friends who have/had snakes most of em HAD. while it was a little mice farm to feed em it was a-ok, but when it came to feeding rabbits they couldn't do it:) saying..."o just look at that little pretty thing, how could I feed it to the big ugly, bad, terrifying.. jad jada jada... snake", so they sold it. OK, now the question, here it comes, since death is a everyday experience on a farm, some critters are even born dead. some drop of no apparent reasons, being healthy as in not carrying any disease, dropping due to a heart attack like the big meat chickens, or in the first days of their life. So we are stuck with those poor little things dead... I know I know, this time it comes, seriously comes, would it be possible to freeze such drops and feed them to a snake? I know that some people buy frozen mice, heat em up in the microwave when needed and feed to the snake. But can critters that drop be fed to a snake. And then there is the second question, it is nice to make a death on your farm count somehow for sure, but what to do with that snake then. I mean you could go all posh, snobby, and all that jada jada... skin the snake and make something out of the skin (some of you make things out of rabbit pelts already right?) and maybe even eat the flesh, but I know that I would have a lot of trouble to push myself to take the first bite for sure... but some friends that were in one of those countries where they eat snakes, say they are the most delish meat... :disgusted:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
As for me any "drops" have always been buried in the garden if they are small enough. That way I at least get enriched soil out of them. Larger creatures go to the knackers. They get a price for hauling them off but they use such carcasses for making glue and fertilizer and such.

All of the snakes that I have ever "personally" known, turned their noses up at a frozen dinner. They like their meals live and squigglin'! My Grandma Nettie, however used to tell stories about the depression. They took dead things, like road kill, tossed them into a big old iron pot outside and cooked them into a stew for the pigs and chickens! Cooking them supposedly killed off any contaminates, but if I had a death from disease I would still contribute them to the garden.

Over here in the "States" we eat a lot of that corn. Young sweet corn, young field corn even is often eaten boiled with butter and salt. Then we eat a lot of corn meal, grits (which is corn based porridge), and hominy. Lots of farmers actually BALE those corn stalks and leaves and use as winter feed for beef cattle. Not much protein, but a lot of good fiber for them. Green cornstalks are cut and turned into ensilage for cattle as well. This is a kind of fermented moist chop soup. Often corn and cob goes into this as well. The best uses for the cob are animal bedding and garden mulch.

How is that for a few ideas?

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As for me any "drops" have always been buried in the garden if they are small enough. That way I at least get enriched soil out of them. Larger creatures go to the knackers. They get a price for hauling them off but they use such carcasses for making glue and fertilizer and such.
All of the snakes that I have ever "personally" known, turned their noses up at a frozen dinner. They like their meals live and squigglin'! My Grandma Nettie, however used to tell stories about the depression. They took dead things, like road kill, tossed them into a big old iron pot outside and cooked them into a stew for the pigs and chickens! Cooking them supposedly killed off any contaminates, but if I had a death from disease I would still contribute them to the garden.
I agree on that, if the death would be clearly disease related, that could affect me, I would put it in the ground too.

I wouldn't give any kind of stew or meat from a diseased dropped (you put it in quotation marks, is there a proper name, terminology for that?) animal to another animal that I am sure I might eat, or someone else for that matter might eat it... but there are sometimes natural deaths.

Don't get me the wrong way... I always used to have pet rabbits (3 of them in the peak moment) and they were spoiled to hell and back. I loved them, feed them, scratched them, brushed them, but one day the time came and they died. Being younger back then, I took it quite hard, but I am still human I am sure that loos around the farm will hit me hard even though time passed and I got older, just wondering if it might make it easier, when you know that one life that expired may keep another life going.
Over here in the "States" we eat a lot of that corn.
I am sorry, now I see I went over the wire with that here and there :(
I am sorry if I offeded you by my way of speaking of your country in any way.

Polish farmers do just the same with the whole plants for feed and Poles as well eat corn strait up but don't seem to like it that much. Malting and making your own whiskey is a process that has always interested me.

The best uses for the cob are animal bedding and garden mulch.
I didn't see that coming I have to admit.