rty007 winemaking Q

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rty007, I don't think you said anything that was offensive and I don't think Farmfresh was in any way offended. I could be wrong, But I didn't see anything here that raised any flags. No worries! :)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
No going over the wire. I am just not used to it being called the states. We just say the U.S. or America. I guess I just don't have too many friends from out of the country other than here on SS. :lol:

I don't know exactly what you should call an animal that just drops dead. (?) Drops works for me. I have heard the other countries consider corn to be mostly animal feed. We eat a lot of it around here.

No offenses taken. We all love to think of alternatives to just about everything around here! :D

By the way they grind up those corn cobs into little bits and people actually PAY good money to use it as bedding for their animals. A bag of k-cob

It is all good! :D

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
huh.. :)

I though I blabbed something AGAIN.

By the way they grind up those corn cobs into little bits and people actually PAY good money to use it as bedding for their animals. A bag of k-cob
They most certainly do :)

I have this little property under observation:

http://otodom.pl/dzialka-garwolin-100000m2-200000-pln-id4880594.html

it is in a bad shape... BUT 66,000$ ain't bad if you ask me.

it is 26,5 ac of land, a little bit divided by a road though.
it has 2 brick cowsheds/barns that needs roof restoration and a brick barn in good condition.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
I liked that farm. Looks like good land for sheep too. Were those fruit trees? That would be a plus.

Wonder if any roofers need some work done that you know how to do.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks like good land for sheep too
sure is;) mmm... lamb it is hard to get and sky high price in Poland, unless you go directly to the source. which even then is quite high.

Were those fruit trees? That would be a plus.
I doubt that, they would say about that FOR SURE and they don't

Wonder if any roofers need some work done that you know how to do.
I admit.. I didn't quite get that ;(... you mean a service trade?

another thing I noticed, that in Poland the price per live pound of a animal goes drastically up with its size.

hatching eggs 1-2 PLN (0,33-0,7$) for an average person that is not in the business yet and doesn't know all the tricks of the trade but I know my uncle runs a egg farm ( barn style ) I am not sure what he does with the chicken. how long do you think does it take to flush chicken body off all that crap they probably pump into it while on the farm? I am sure my uncle gets the hatching eggs cheaper then that.

rabbits 10-25PLN (3-8$)

piggies 120-170 PLN (40-55$) I read about QA just hating the piggies as much as one man can:) But I am too keen on kiełbasa that is for sure to give up on them, so a few in a forest-like 2acre pasture with a shed to winter and a electric wire all around is an absolute MUST.

sheppies those range intensely depending on the breed. anywhere from 100 to 300 PLN (33-100$)

goats don't know, don't care :p

calf 1500-2500 PLN (500-800$)

I am talking here all about young animals as soon after birth as possible.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
rty007 said:
piggies 120-170 PLN (40-55$) I read about QA just hating the piggies as much as one man can:) But I am too keen on kiebasa that is for sure to give up on them, so a few in a forest-like 2acre pasture with a shed to winter and a electric wire all around is an absolute MUST.
I read this and couldn't help but laugh - yep, I hates 'em. But, I do think if I had a different type of set up, it might be different. Like if I were able to feed them over their fence, not have to go in the pen.

And, I will confess that caring for just two pigs yesterday was a lot easier than 4, so we're still thinking. And feeding smelly pigs.

And if you look at Hambone (I'll have to get new pig pics) he really is a beautiful - plus super smelly - pig. Nice and solid, too...I'm thinkin' he's going to make a nice slab of bacon...

Yep, I'm thinking your idea of a pig set up is a good one. I think mine would be less of a love/hate relationship if my set up was better.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
rty007 said:
lamb it is hard to get and sky high price in Poland, unless you go directly to the source. which even then is quite high.
Lamb in the US is quite high priced as well. (This is definitely a beef eating nation) It is also hard to find except at Easter and sometimes Christmas. I saw some little sad gristly lamb chops the other day priced at $8.50 a pound! I have been buying my lambs live from a farmer and having them custom butchered. This brings the cost to around $2.90 a pound for high quality meat.

I am not sure what he does with the chicken. how long do you think does it take to flush chicken body off all that crap they probably pump into it while on the farm?
Most commercial farmers in the US only keep hens through one laying cycle and then off to the soup factory they go. Of course living in a battery cage takes a great toll in that year. It is a good possibility that you could buy some of the cast off hens from a commercial farmer, give them some good food, grass and sunshine and then continue to gather eggs from them for at least another year or two. After they significantly slow down laying they will still make good stew birds. By the time they are back to good health they should be mostly free of any residual medication etc (although I still would probably not eat their livers).

If you start with hens of this kind you should be able to find a rooster at low cost or free. People give them away all of the time around here, since they don't want to mess with killing them. Then you could soon produce your OWN hatching eggs for replacement birds, however you would certainly need an incubator since commercial strain birds won't set on their own eggs.

rabbits 10-25PLN (3-8$)
I used to raise my own meat rabbits, but now I buy all of my meat bunnies from a local girl who raises rabbits for show and pets. She really treats her animals royally, since they are mostly show animals. They get great feed, and mineral supplements etc. I get any cull rabbits for $5-6.00 each live. Some of these are older animals, but the still make a good stewing animal. This frees up my time for other things.

But I am too keen on kiełbasa that is for sure to give up on them, so a few in a forest-like 2acre pasture with a shed to winter and a electric wire all around is an absolute MUST.
That is the absolutely IDEAL way to raise them! Around here you sometimes see hogs pastured with beef cattle as well. I WISH I had a set up like you describe, then maybe I could talk my hubby into a couple. He is a hog hater as well. Currently I buy my pork "on the hoof" from a local woman who raises one for the family and a couple extra to pay the costs. She too takes great care with feeding since she is basically raising meat for herself.

calf 1500-2500 PLN (500-800$) I am talking here all about young animals as soon after birth as possible.
As for calves you might want to consider buying them as "feeders" instead of bottle calves if you are raising them for beef. They cost slightly more but if you figure in the milk replacer costs and the time spent they are probably a better value. I WOULD probably consider a bottle calf if I was getting a dairy animal, just so I could have extra hands on time to get it gentle when very young.

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I read this and couldn't help but laugh - yep, I hates 'em. But, I do think if I had a different type of set up, it might be different. Like if I were able to feed them over their fence, not have to go in the pen.
Just pulling your leg a little bit ;)

And, I will confess that caring for just two pigs yesterday was a lot easier than 4, so we're still thinking. And feeding smelly pigs.

And if you look at Hambone (I'll have to get new pig pics) he really is a beautiful - plus super smelly - pig. Nice and solid, too...I'm thinkin' he's going to make a nice slab of bacon...
My other uncle( not the chicken farm guy ;) just the two people in the family has anything to do with agriculture) has a setup just like that, he says that the smell is thin to none and all he does is basically while driving by in his little funny thingie like the once you see on golf course but a cargo holding version that he runs on turnip pressed oil. he stops for a sec and throws some greens scraps, grains and all of that shebang from a bucket over the fence everyday in a different spot for them to dig in it, and again while driving by, checks the water that is automatically refilled, then off to care for his vineyard.

I am not sure of the name of this breed, but I intend to have those brown/red with a little fur ones. I am not sure how are they gonna hold up in our climate tho ( i will look for it... or you might help if you know the one...) but I know that great Brittan is A-OK so it should be OK here too.

Since I kind of listed all of those critters, I might just as well list what breed I intend to get, and if you know/have them don't hesitate to comment.

starting from the small ones (I admit in advance I am going for the rare breeds that are pushed away by the industry due too small efficiency, having quality. And try to be a patriot that I kind of em really not)

chickens:

-we have those beautiful polish ones, during the WW II they were just a patriotic thing to have. They were breed to be hardy, be primal and survive in the toughest conditions. click no translation, but just for the sake of the photo. It is said to roost on trees, lay maybe not that good but it is said to have a low cholesterol levels in egg and meat.
-probably a couple of czubatka which is called "polish chicken" again for patriotic reasons ;)wiki for photo
-rir
-and a breed that works well in a tractor for mandala gardens(rir works quite well from what I could tell, but just wondering? ).
-and maybe Sussex if I won't get all pooped up head to toe, by far.

rabbits:

-there is a polish breed "Popielniański" photo aint he a cute one?
-and as just all of you folks do: a cross of Californian and newzealand white.

those two would be just about alright for the first 2-3 years before I get everything sorted out. then some bigger livestock would come.

sheep:

-ok, no translation here either... name of the breed is: żelaźnieńska I know I know it has a lot of crazy stuff above ;) if you folks want, I can translate those texts for you. this sheep is a dual purpose and that is what I am looking for. I do not think I will be looking for another breed. It is said to give birth to an average of a little bit over 2 small balls.

that would make it for.. 4-5 years

cattle:t

-polish red

cows would probably be the last to introduce to he herd.

And finally I am gonna go with a polish breed LGD "polish Tatra sheepdog"

I found a photo of those piggies or at least they look quite like the ones I want:
free_range_pigs.jpg

silly me, didn't jot the breed down.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have the czubaka over here as well. I have had some in the past and really like them. They seem to be pretty fair egg layers, but are not very good in a free range situation. I don't think they can spot predators very well. In the US we simply call them Polish chickens. They come in LOTS of color variations as well.

The first breed of chicken looks like what we call Old English game fowl.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Those red piggies look like Duroc's in color, but the ears aren't droopy like a Duroc's.

They are very cute!