The FDA May Change HFCS Name to Corn Sugar

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Corn syrup is a highly processed food.

"Formerly, corn syrup was produced by combining corn starch with dilute hydrochloric acid, and then heating the mixture under pressure. Currently, corn syrup is mainly produced by first adding the enzyme α-amylase to a mixture of corn starch and water. α-amylase is secreted by various species of the bacterium Bacillus; the enzyme is isolated from the liquid in which the bacteria are grown. The enzyme breaks the starch into oligosaccharides, which are then broken into glucose molecules by adding the enzyme glucoamylase, known also as "γ-amylase". Glucoamylase is secreted by various species of the fungus Aspergillus; the enzyme is isolated from the liquid in which the fungus is grown. The glucose can then be transformed into fructose by passing the glucose through a column that is loaded with the enzyme D-xylose isomerase, an enzyme that is isolated from the growth medium of any of several bacteria.[5][6]"

As guess corn syrup is "natural" in a way as it isn't actually supernatural :D

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FC, when people like wifezilla and others inform us, providing links an such, which are accurate, it helps us to learn. It helped me. and I do look at thier links, and make my own decisions. The proof is out there, and my family is now proof. The fact that you are not seeing signs 'right now' is all well and good, but how do you know you will not suffer some damage at some point.

You're right, bodies react differently, but all bodies do react to the stuff. So me, my dd and hubby have not had the same drastic effects as my son has had, but, I can only venture to guessthat in time we would have. The big what if factor comes into play here. If I can prevent my family from suffering, be it cancer, cholesterol, diabetes, behaviour problems etc., by providing the best for them through diet, shouldn't Ido it? or should I just take tha attitude that --well, we don't have problems now, and my parents and grandparents didn't have problems, so I don't need to worry about. Sorry, but I believe it will eventually come around to bite you in the butt.

I'm not willing to take that chance. It is my job to provide the best for my family with the means I have available to me. I think we all have that responsibility. I'm not telling you what to do here, no one is, but honestly, respectfully, if you are going to spew-'-it's not as bad as you say, b./c you don't have problems, your mom doesn't have problems, etc, that is just not good enough. At least have the same fortitude to back up your claims with eviidence.

Not really trying to start a war here, but honestly. We are sharing info, and if one is going to make claims, don't you think they should be backed up by science, and not just personal experience? True, I am telling my story of personal experience. But it is based on the info I have recieived here, with evidence provided to back up the claims.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
most of what you said is "what if"

and I agree

no one knows the future of "what might get ya"

if eliminating works for a physical body, that is great. To say it is "end all" is wrong.

my mom is 82. smoked til age 77 and quit. ate everything her entire life and still does, not on ONE pill......that kinda goes my way right, by rights according to every "what if" she should be long gone. Do you think that this is not worthy of some consideration cause SHE IS not alone! Many older active people who DID not cut back ALL foods etc.

if "my mom doesn't have problems from HFCS, and I don't and my kid doesn't (up to this age) HOW CAN you say it is poison and bad for ALL?

you can't.

science is "definitely" based on humans and their experiences with products etc. Because science does not (not ever) work the same in all individuals.

absolutely if something works thru elimination etc. go for it. I would not expect someone to "not try to help themselves" who wouldn't.

but to condemn entirely is wrong when there is just as much "what if evidence" that proves different.

Links are great. They give us "access" to info. Sure I gain from them sometimes, but they are not "end all" to me ever.

of course you should take actions to avoid some things in life, but sometimes moderation is doable also.

Oh now war lol just chatting.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WZ many physical bodies take great stress etc all day long.

you take my share of pollution that we breathe
you take my share of growth hormones in meats
you take my share of magnetic interference living near big electrical lines

I won't "eat" your share of HFCS cause I said in monderation.

moderation some of ya can't quite grasp that word

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
"moderation" for some means a lot less intake than for others.

I eat meat in moderation and eat a LOT more meat than a lot of others do because it would make them sick.

I cannot eat sugar in moderation because even small amounts make me very ill.

Some people just cannot eat processed sugars without very adverse effects. If you either do not have adverse effects or just haven't noticed them, good on you. But I don't think anyone said that you aren't allowed to eat it.

I think everyone is saying calling HFCS by another name is still HFCS and those avoiding it need to avoid it under all its names.

ETA: If you have any studies showing HFCS is harmless, please share them so everyone gets all the information they can.

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Some of you people need to wake up.The FDA wouldn't allow something that would hurt the taxpayers,with the exception of tobacco,which I will elaborate on shortly.The government wants you out there every day,working and paying taxes.Uncle Sam needs that tax money to "spread the wealth."

As for tobacco,the tax revenue from it outweighs the health risks.Most people suffering from tobacco related illness are elderly and usually retired,therefore not contributing to the tax base any longer.

I've lived in Mississippi all my life.Just a couple of weeks ago,on the national news,there was a story about Mississippi being the fattest state in the nation.Also Mississippi has the greatest percentage of welfare recipients in the nation.This tells me that the taxpayers,you and I,Wifezilla,are feeding our people pretty darn good.Your argument about HFCS causing obesity may have merit here.I submit that sitting on your a$$,watching TV all day, stuffing your pie hole with sweets,and washing it down with 6-8 sodas or beer is the cause of this.

These people have access to any type of healthy food they want.They choose to eat things that don't have to be cooked,Sodas,chips,sweets,etc.They would have to stand up for a while to cook and they might miss an important TV program,unless they have a taxpayer funded DVR,yes,that's what I said.

So,it may be HFCS that makes people obese.I suggest that it is quantity,not quality,that tips the scale.If you don't believe me,load up and come to Mississippi and witness it first hand.It will make you too sick to eat anything ,much less HFCS.

That's just how it is.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
most of what you said is "what if"

and I agree

no one knows the future of "what might get ya"

if eliminating works for a physical body, that is great. To say it is "end all" is wrong.

my mom is 82. smoked til age 77 and quit. ate everything her entire life and still does, not on ONE pill......that kinda goes my way right, by rights according to every "what if" she should be long gone. Do you think that this is not worthy of some consideration cause SHE IS not alone! Many older active people who DID not cut back ALL foods etc.

if "my mom doesn't have problems from HFCS, and I don't and my kid doesn't (up to this age) HOW CAN you say it is poison and bad for ALL?

you can't.

science is "definitely" based on humans and their experiences with products etc. Because science does not (not ever) work the same in all individuals.

absolutely if something works thru elimination etc. go for it. I would not expect someone to "not try to help themselves" who wouldn't.

but to condemn entirely is wrong when there is just as much "what if evidence" that proves different.

Links are great. They give us "access" to info. Sure I gain from them sometimes, but they are not "end all" to me ever.

of course you should take actions to avoid some things in life, but sometimes moderation is doable also.

Oh now war lol just chatting.
I understand moderation completely. Just don't agree with it for certain things

So, according to the law that is Farmerchick's, it is ok for all of us to smoke, in moderation of course, b/c your mother did untli she was 77? Is that what you are saying? She's fine, so the rest of us should be too?

And she ate whatever so we can too? Is she really fine? B/c my dad still smokes. he doesnt have cancer, nor emphysema, but his quality of life is severly diminished. But, we should throw out all the studies of PROOF that smoking is bad for you, just becasue your mom smoked till 77 and she is fine? Oh, ok. And your dd is a straight A student on HFCS, so we should all eat it, in moderation, of course, b/c she is fine? I see. And that is all the proof you need? Well, ok then.

And no, I'm not going an alot of "what if's". The proof is out there. If you choose not to believe it, for whatever reasons, --that is totally your choice. All I am saying is just becasue you are going by the philosphy of "my family is fine, so I don't care what the research says", doesn';t mean you should be totally dissing the research that prooves otherwise, by spouting--all in moderation-- when yo have no other scientific evidence to back it up, other than your family.(which is NOt scientific)

I truly and sincerely hope that it doesnt come around to bite you in the butt. Me, I'd rather be proactive about our health, rather than be reactive. The fact that your family is fine, is not going to change what I know to be true.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
MMMM, these mashed potatoes are sure yummy. Can someone pass them over to me, so I can have some more?
Oh, and I'll take the raw butter while you are at it :thumbsup

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
These people have access to any type of healthy food they want.
And this is where we will have to disagree. What is defined by the government as FOOD and what is actually nourishing are 2 completely different things.

Truly health food is pastured beef, which last time I checked is over $6/lb for ground. Truly healthy pastured chicken is about $4/lb. Isn't MS also one of the poorest states?

To make grains healthy, they need to be soaked, fermented or sprouted. Most people don't know that. Without those processes, the anti-nutrients in the grains and legumes cause more harm than good and actually rob your body of nutrition.

Most people don't even know how to cook anything more complicated than ramen noodles now.