Unashamedly Showing Off

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
The grandkids and I wanted some potatoes for dinner. Look what we found just under the surface. Nine inches long !

Picture755.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Wow. I can't wait to dig my potatos but from what I have seen so far they will be nothing like yours. Those are really great.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I am just stunned. I have never even had a garden before, let alone planted potatoes. They are not really supposed to be dug until June 1, given the plant date, but we thought it wound be fun to check on them. It is simply unbelievable that such a thing grew in my yard !.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice potatoes! Mine were just planted two weeks ago, so I'm still waiting for the plants to come out of the ground. In a few months, I hope they will look as nice as yours do.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
NICE! :)

do they have to rest first before you eat them though? i'm trying potatoes again this year and am hoping to be more successful this time around haha

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Sweet potatoes have to rest so the starch can turn to sugar. Whites you can eat right away. They are buttery and smooth when eaten immediately. Not at all like store bouht that have been stored for a long time. I supposed home stored would be better than commercially stored as well !In fact, I am convinced that the more quickly you eat them after digging them, the better !

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Really nice spuds, Ldychef. We planted 200 lbs. of potatoes this year. The first we planted in one spot are looking wonderful. Just now getting ready to bloom. The next bunch was planted in a different place and they look horrible. The plants are long and leggy, the leaves have curled like tight buds - I dug one up and the potato has roots and has not rotted, so I don't have any idea what is happening to them. They look like something out of an alien movie - vegetation from another planet. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Your crop looks delicious - mmmmm.