Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
WZ- I love that last one!

And, unfortunately, your chufa website says it won't grow in New England :( Like a lot of good stuff. At least it is in the red zone where it says "NA". Do the tubers spread if you leave them? Or do you have to re-seed every year?

I can't tell you how many times I have heard this weekend that "we can just print money". Ugh.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Now, amidst the plunging stock market fun, there is this little gem...

"Former Federal Reserve Chairman Alan Greenspan on Sunday ruled out the chance of a US default following S&P's decision to downgrade America's credit rating.

"The United States can pay any debt it has because we can always print money to do that. So there is zero probability of default" said Greenspan on NBC's Meet the Press"
Yep, the Weimar Republic and Zimbabwe could print all the money they needed also.

Zimbabwe_100_trillion_2009.jpg

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you would think having one of those bills would be an oddity...sadly I don't think so LOL

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Its little wonder that were in such a mess with someone like Gr__nspan saying something so freaking lame.The dude was the Feds top money man for how long...? He alone is responsible for a huge part of this fiscal mess.Oh sure, just keep printing worthless paper money with not a thing to back it. What a smuck...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Valmom, you have to reseed, but the seeds according to one site last up to three years without much loss of viability. It is related to nutsedge, but it isn't invasive. I am in a region that is sometimes zone 5....sometimes zone 4. If I can grow it here, I don't see why you can't grow it. I will let you know what kind of harvest I get. All my plants are very healthy looking, and the rain did wash a way a bit of soil on one plant and I saw some plump nuts exposed. But I covered them up quick and didn't poke around.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Valmom, you have to reseed, but the seeds according to one site last up to three years without much loss of viability. It is related to nutsedge, but it isn't invasive. I am in a region that is sometimes zone 5....sometimes zone 4. If I can grow it here, I don't see why you can't grow it. I will let you know what kind of harvest I get. All my plants are very healthy looking, and the rain did wash a way a bit of soil on one plant and I saw some plump nuts exposed. But I covered them up quick and didn't poke around.
Thanks WZ - you answered two of my questions. Nutsedge is very invasive here and that was making me nervous. Secondly, according to their map, we were on the edge but we are zone 5/6.
Were you able to plant this w/o tilling or did you have till the area?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I planted it in an existing garden bed. I used it as an edging plant :D