JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You have inspired me to plant beets. I wonder if they will grow down here in the heat and humidity? I was thinking the same thing as farmfresh about those tops. I LOVE greens, I plant collards, turnips, Spinach, and mustard greens all together and mix them up with some turnips and picnic ham with some homemade tabasco sauce. I have ate the beet tops in salad before but didnt know you could cook em like collards. Im off to start my fall planting.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Especially in the south, beets make a great fall or even winter crop! (depending on HOW far south you are. They mature FAST!

Since they are a dual use crop - greens and roots - they are among MY favorites!

I am going to try to do a few pickled beets today with the few beets that my foraging hennies left me.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 Aug 09

So, yesterday we went to the Indiana Chickenstock. What a day!!! There were lots of people there from BYC. There was TONS of great food, desserts, caseroles, hot dogs, hamburgers, pulled pork....WOW. There was this great Pinata, a huge chicken. The kids that were there had a great time....trying to break it! LOL
A few chickens got loose, and the chase was on! There was a raffle table, lots of us donated prizes...and the money went to the American Cancer society. Our host and hostess were great. They have a beautifull place....we all set up on the wooded area, shady, clean, and very nice! I was able to sell a few hens, and a drake...and only brought home ONE extra. :D I actually traded a SLW pullet, for a Welsummer pullet.
I didnt have a cage for her, so this is how she rode, for the 1 1/2 hr drive home.
99_rideinghome.jpg

Luckily I had a towel for my lap! :sick
It was pretty funny, every time we went under an over pass, she would duck down! Once she saw a pigeon fly over, she screamed! LOL She is a little spoiled..and wants to ride on my shoulder ALL the time! As soon as she is a little bigger, she will be able to go in with the "big girls"
Over all, we had a great day....good food, good friends...just a great time. Unfortunately, I had a lot of "catchup work" to do when we got home.
Today, I was able to get in the garden, with my water boots on... :rolleyes: I was able to pick 11 pints of green beans, and 4 pints of beets, which I canned this afternoon, after we got back from getting 4 truckloads of firewood. Slowly, but surely, I am filling the pantry. :D What a great feeling. The end of August, I wil be planting peas...hopeing to get them canned..IF they make it. :idunno All I can do is hope.
Time for this old woman to get some shut eye. Hope everyone had a productive weekend!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I bet you got some looks going down the road! :lol:
You know, I cant say that anyone noticed. We even drove right through Columbus Indiana...a pretty good sized town.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
That is just too funny! What a great pic.

Glad you enjoyed your trip.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just stopping by to say hello. I have not had a lot of time to read the journals lately. sounds like you had a good day. Great job on the canning. I love the feeling of accomplishment I get every time I finish canning.

Have a great week. G

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
3 Aug 09

Hubby was able to finish putting the shelves in the pantry...I have only loaded about half of it..so far...but I am working on it! ;)
99_pantryaug09.jpg

There is more on the table in the garage, I just havent loaded it in yet. HOPEFULLY today I can get it finished. I have a bad case of pluaracy (sp?) in my back left shoulder blade...it is really putting a damper on moveing around much. OUCH! :(