Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
well, you got more coming girlie! I'm headed to the post office today :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
My late MIL was a huge cross stitcher for many many years. When she died I got a big box of books and SEVERAL very organized floss keeper boxes full of floss, as well as quite a bit of fabric.

I have done a bit of work in the past and hope to again someday, so I will just hang on to the supplies for a while. I already did a purge of the books and sold a few on eBay. No since keeping them if I know I'll never use them.

It sounds like you really scored on your find!! Wow less that 10 cents a BOOK!! The books also sound good. Farm scenes, chickens ... Many of the books my MIL had are work related secretary, doctor, or just plain old ugly. At least the floss is really nice.
The farm scene and chickens that I am working on right now were kits I bought at JoAnn Fabrics. They have clearanced out all of their cross stitch kits and won't be getting more in - so I went hog wild and got about 6 or 7.... :lol:

The books DO have some super adorable ones in them though. These are the Better Homes and Gardens cross stitch books and another set of pattern books called Cross Stitch. Some of the books even have "series" of patterns and you have to have all 3 books that carry the series to get all of the set. One is a beach set with a boy and girl on the beach. I can't wait to do those! I have plans to frame and hang them in the bathroom to match my beach theme in there.

Then there's a bunch of teddy bear things, some farm related patterns, and Amish patterns. LOT's of country scenes, like rocking chairs on porches or flowers and quilts, etc.

Lori - THANK YOU! I'm so excited to see what's coming! :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Oh, you've got teddy bears, country stuff, inspirational stuff, a really good book of various patterns, the lab kit, a tractor book, a magnetic stand with a magnetic ruler, lots of extra fabric, dolphins, some xmas stuff I think, I crammed as much as I could in that box..... :p

I just hope you like everything.....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Hey, QA! Are you guys getting this whacky weather we're getting?
We have had thunderstorms, tornado warnings, heavy fog and lots of heavy rain since Memorial Day..... The sun is just barely making an appearance each day. :(

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
keljonma said:
Hey, QA! Are you guys getting this whacky weather we're getting?
We have had thunderstorms, tornado warnings, heavy fog and lots of heavy rain since Memorial Day..... The sun is just barely making an appearance each day. :(
yes we are! and Jefferson County, which is the county that borders ours on our Eastern side - had a tornado touch down in one of their little towns either yesterday or the day before. There was a family that had it come right through their farm, destroyed some trees and a few outbuildings I think - but they were counting their blessings just thankful that all of their family, dogs, and livestock survived!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
New severe thunderstorm starting right now. Gardening is probably out for tonight, but you can still come and let my mom fill you with the carbs she so loves. LOL ;)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
New severe thunderstorm starting right now. Gardening is probably out for tonight, but you can still come and let my mom fill you with the carbs she so loves. LOL ;)
LOL Thanks, but we'll stay home lol I love your mom, though, even if she DOES make extremely carby meals! :p

E likes her carby meals...that's for sure! I'm not kidding, when she said she was making mashed 'taters and hamburg gravy, he seriously got a glassy look to his eyes, his jaw went slack, and the drool just started dripping out of the corner of his lips :gig :lol:

A little excitement here today! Miss Priss came off her nest - finally! - with 10 little 'scovy babies in tow!! 6 black and whites and 4 Red and White! I'll be keeping all the reds, I think.....

In other news, the package from Lori arrived today and OMG!!!! I'm going to be cross stitching like mad for YEARS!!!

TONS of patterns, a couple hoops, a few kits that haven't even been opened yet, lots of Aida cloth (not all little pieces, either!)

The bad news - we were out running a couple local errands (including picking up at the PO) when the storm hit - so that wasn't cool AT ALL. We had quarter sized hail - and well, we were flipping out!

We've got another storm coming in.

Hmmm.....me thinks I'll have to name one of the new 'scovy ducklings Stormie....

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mmmmm...hamburger gravy....something I haven't had in years. My Mom makes dried beef gravy that is excellent too. I may have to work that in to the meal rotation. Although my kids all have texture issues and don't eat mashed potatoes :idunno

You gettin a tornado now Aly and Becca? I have the news on and it looks scary over your way. Stay safe!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
So yesterday we had some massive storms move in - and apparently they storms are ignoring the very plain eviction notice we issued, as they are still here.

Around 5 am this morning the sky let loose a torrent of rain, and we were gifted with nearly 5 inches.

To put it in perspective -

- we, who catch rain water in multiple 55 gallon drums, who store water in every possible way we can so as to not have to make more trips than necessary to the spring, have run out of containers to store water in.

- everything, including the goose pond, is over flowing.

- the bottom of the welsummer pen washed out, and we can see daylight under the bottom where it should meet the ground.

- i took my morning showing while simultaneously cleaning out the call ducks pond and filling it with fresh rain water (in hopes of making room in a rain barrel)

in other words, that's a lot of freaking water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The ducks are all milarky and happy, I had to scoop up some bird brain chicks who thought they were ducks, and nearly commited suicide via drowning. They are now drying off under a heat lamp.

The cows aren't bothered by it - they're happy that the flies aren't out.

Taylor, our blue heeler lab mix, keeps jumping in the goat pen and nearly getting herself impaled by goat horns. I don't know why she won't stay in her own box.

Zoe is holed up with her puppies in her box - and not coming out for anything.

The yard is now a hay field - and we're not sure our mower is going to cut it after all this rain. :(

eta: In other news, I had two BLR Wyandottes hatch, what looks like a Black Langshan hatched, and a Columbian Wyandotte - plus I have Lavender Orps pipped and another call duck has pipped it's air cell!