VickiLynn - Finding The Balance

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Meaning the addition of too much starter crowds the bacteria and it doesn't grow as well.
Really! Now here I thought that if it was runny, you needed more starter. going to start another batch. thanks for the info!!!! :)
Hope it works for you :fl
Let me know how it turns out.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd never heard that about the yogurt as well! And here I thought it was because of my thermometer that told me everything was really 20 degrees cooler than it really was!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I went back through my browsing history - man, I've surfed a lot the past couple of days - and found the info. about too much starter:

Theories on Temperature vs. Thickness

Every so often, I get a batch of runny yogurt. Ive been trying to help others troubleshoot the runny batches over the past few months, and heres my theory: ~100 degrees is a better temperature for your yogurt than ~110. Ive allowed my milk to cool just a little bit longer and usually end up with thicker yogurt. Anyone else have similar experiences? Also, definitely only use 2 Tbs. of yogurt starter per quart of milk, no more. Too much yogurt crowds the multiplying bacteria and results in runny yogurt.

This is where I found it:

http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2010/01/11/monday-mission-level-up-your-yogurt-game/

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm a little late but :welcome

Your name caught my eye, my mom's name is Vickie Lynn as well, and my daughter is Claire Lynn :D

I have a 7yo son and the story about your son's corn syrup paper cracked me up :lol:

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks, Augustmomx2 (so does that mean you became a mom in August twice?).

I just took a peek at your personal page - Love the chicken coop!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It snowed last night. :barnie

I covered the strawberry and asparagus beds, and a few flowers I had out. I'm just leaving them covered, since it's getting close to freezing the next two nights. I don't know what it did to the apple trees. I guess time will tell.:fl

Due to a little chicken tractor accident last week, DH killed 4 of our 6-wk. old chicks, including all three Blue Andy's (my favorites, of course). DH felt sooo bad. So today we went to a hatchery about 20 miles away to replace the 4.

We came home with 16 chicks (straight run):

3 Blue Andulusians
4 Brabantor
4 Pendesence
3 RI Red
2 RI White

They're so tiny and cute!!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you have a hatchery only 20 miles away!??!??! oh boy.. i'd be loadin' up the big truck every weekend! whooot!

(sorry about the chicks....these things happen)

:)

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Man. 20 minutes? and I have a hard enough time with not bringing babies home every time I go to the feed store. And the old man who works the counter knows it. "Now Emily Anne" (He calls me by my middle name, I love it!) "we just got a new shipment of these barred rocks here, and I know how much you love them." or he'll say, "Now Missy, the black sex-links are going on sale next week so make sure you come back." As if I'm not there every week. The man knows me a little tooooo well. Creepy in a good way.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I didn't know that place existed until a few days ago when I found it on Craigs List. It's pretty small, but he has a lot of different breeds. Now I'm trying to wipe the directions out of my mind so I don't have a weak moment and decide to go back "just to look".

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you SO much for the yogurt information! I would have done just the opposite, added more rather than less. I can't wait to try again !!!