Fort Knox aka The Piggy Bank we're back in business!!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We decided that 4 piggies were a little much to deal with, so Bella was listed on CL today.

Hope she goes fast.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Q_A, ONE is too much to deal with!!! :lol:

And thank you very much MP, now I can't stop singing "Two Trailer Park Pigs are 'bout to get fried"!!!! I sorta resemble that song. :p

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hey! I do live close to you! If you ever get fed up with him, I'll take him! I've never had pigs escape on me. Well, there was that one time my oldest monster left the gate open, but that wasn't the pig's fault. ;) I'll even trade you a couple of steaks and maybe a roast from the last cow we butchered. :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood said:
Hey! I do live close to you! If you ever get fed up with him, I'll take him! I've never had pigs escape on me. Well, there was that one time my oldest monster left the gate open, but that wasn't the pig's fault. ;) I'll even trade you a couple of steaks and maybe a roast from the last cow we butchered. :D
I'll keep that offer in mind. So far he is contained.

How do you have your animals butchered? Do you do it yourselves or do you hire someone? Haul them in or do it at home?

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have someone come out to our house who does the actual shooting and field dressing. My kids love this part. They then take the carcass to the meat processor of your choice. I suggest you go to the different packing houses you are considering and purchase different cuts of meat (bacon, sausage, a small ham) to see how they prepare it and if you like the flavor. This is more important than the price if you ask me. It will also give you an idea of their customer service. You will be spending some time going over each cut in your order and when you haven't done it before you want to go with a company that is going to take the time to explain things to you. The first place we went to actually acted like we were taking time out of their day every time we called! We are much happier with the one we use now. Of course if you don't have time, and who does, to go to the different packing houses, I know that most of them have booths at the Oly Farmer's Market, and perhaps at other ones as well.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks, that is great info. I never thought to check out the meat the butcher sells. I think there are two different butchers that do this. I'll have to check them out.

I've never butchered an animal, I am not sure I can have it done, (or much less if my daughter will want to see it or eat it) but don't tell anyone here I said that, they already think I'm a big wimp. :p However, I wouldn't mind it if someone took him off my hands and had it done and kept the meat, perhaps for a trade of another type of meat, know what I mean? ;)

Anyhoo, I still don't know what to do with him in the future, right now he has a job to do, till and fertilize my new garden.

By the way, how big is too big to be transported alive? Feel free to pm me if this may sound interesting to you.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I never thought I could do it either, or that my children would be so "in" to watching it. I swear I should take them to see someone, but they think of it as a big anatomy lesson, which my husband reinforces. I do make them stay in the house and watch from windows, so it does remove them from the situation slightly. Even my five year old daughter asks a lot of questions, which I think is good. I had a much harder time with it than they did the first time. :rolleyes: The best part of having someone else come out to slaughter is that they have all the right equipment and experience, so it takes very little time, and there is less suffering for the animal. You can have them wait until you get back in the house and then come get you when they are done. Trust me, by then your pig isn't a pig anymore, it's just hanging meat and the association is gone. You can have your daughter away from the house at the time as well so she isn't tempted to peak. We've actually self-slaughtered before (a steer). Stupidest thing we ever did. :/

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
BBH, maybe this will help you :D
239_pork_cuts.jpg